semicon temp specs?

Back in the "good old daze" of MIL-SPEC, many ICs and discretes were also characterized and specified to work from -55C to 125C. Most of those same parts these days have been discontinued - more eXplicitly, the packages have been discontinued (Cerdip, Metal). But (for the most part) the processes making those chips has not changed. I have tested a number of the "plastic" (actually epoxy) parts to

180C, and have found no package problems. And, except for band-gap voltage references (and parts that use them), i have found no problems. On the low temp side, i remember doing "quick" testing of analog devices by using dry ice. No problems. Get some dry ice and test some parts. If you want a bath to help thermal transfer, use acetone.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Iterativeend skrev:

It is spec'ed for -40C storage so I'd think nothing mechanical breaks at that temperature. The datasheet says the transciever is based on another chip and the

1Mbit version is spec'ed to work at -40C

I guess it could just be that at -40C the clock frequency for the

4Mbit data rate will be so far of it doesn't work?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

*Generally* CMOS works BETTER/FASTER when cold.

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson skrev:

I know :) But if one end of the RF link is at -40C the other end at +85C and the link only work if the ends are with in say, +/-30ppm ...

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Makes a helluva poor design ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That would seem like a function of whatever frequency- determining/sensitive elements, not particularly of the silicon.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Jim Thompson skrev:

maybe, the bluetooth spec is +/-20ppm that doesn't leave much for the tempco of the xtal

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt