schematics and PCB design software. what's best?

Yep, I had a flex circuit design recently where I turned a transistor that only came in SOT23 around and around. Because compared to the others it looked like a boulder.

That is insane ;-)

I already need 3x glasses for 0402 :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

But possible! I have proof:

I use a 3.5x magnifying visor, but I still have to verify 01005's under the scope. I use a 2x for my usual parts (0603, tssop, sot323).

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Nice. But as grampa says, one sapling does not make no forest yet ;-)

Yeah, I find myself increasingly having to use the 3x even on 0603 stuff. Especially at clients after a long trip. There must be something to that "over the hill" talk, at least when it comes to eyesight.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

*-*-*-*-*

*-*-website+reuse+paying.*+*-I-will-switch+cracked-*+*.would.not.help.*+zzz+after-*-*-version-*+copied+*.*.unlock.*.designs+*-*-*-*-exchange-*-*-*-*-third-party+reused+qq+*-*-single-bit-*-*-*-*+useless+*-*-*-projects-could-no-longer-be-opened

** *None* of those supposed functions worked in any shape, size or form. Most of the time i was lucky that the damn program installed inthe first place.
** You do not have to sell the PC; just clone the HD and remove what you do not want me to see, and send me that. I will put it in a removeable HD kit carrier so i can swap it in when i need to run Eagle. What would be your asking price?
Reply to
Robert Baer

They are thinking omitting the useability testing was a great idea. The developpers keep telling the testers how to operate the software, a concept that is outdated. What a pity. The technology behing wouldn't be that bad.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

*-*-*-*-*

*-*-website+reuse+paying.*+*-I-will-switch+cracked-*+*.would.not.help.*+zzz+after-*-*-version-*+copied+*.*.unlock.*.designs+*-*-*-*-exchange-*-*-*-*-third-party+reused+qq+*-*-single-bit-*-*-*-*+useless+*-*-*-projects-could-no-longer-be-opened

Hmm, that sounds more like a training issue. If the program itself fired up then you had it installed properly. Meaning if I'd send you my HD you'd see the same thing.

I am not the expert in mirroring hard drive and this is a laptop where I cannot install a temporary 2nd drive.

Eagle really does require to read the booklet cover to cover. Or if you have the free hobby version the pdf file. I had the "luck" of being decommissioned with a serious backache for two days so I used that time to study up on it. Another option is to find someone in your area and do a small design together. I am pretty certain that there will be Eagle users in the ham radio operator community.

Again, if you click on the Eagle icon, the control panel opens and you can load an example schematic you'd have a working setup no different from mine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You can, with an external drive case. radio shack even has a 2.5" drive case with a USB interface, but it needs two USB ports to power the drive and the interface. They start at $10, plus shipping.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hmm. How do you mirror to a USB drive?

Newegg has bunches of 'em too. I bought a couple 3.5" external USB cases with both SATA and PATA internal interfaces. I have unused desktop drives (75GB PATA and 160GB SATA) in them. I was quite surprised how fast the drives are on USB.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Make an image file, like you do when you create a bootable install CDROM or DVD?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Most likely that does not help Robert anyway. CAD software often configures itself according to what it finds during the install. CAD is much more demanding on the graphics card that other software. So even if I'd send him a HD chances are it will not work right. But installation of Eagle from a downloaded file (or the CD if you bought a license) is a breeze. Half a cup of coffee and it's done.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I think so. They didn't even bother to revise the keyboard shortcuts to modern standards. Just use the same as the Protel Autotrax software did in 1988 (yes 1988).

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Ok, but that's not mirroring (RAID 0).

--
  Keith
Reply to

You can usually pick something up cheap on ebay.

Reply to
Marra

Autotrax was pretty good. I guess then you might as well keep using it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yes you can, that's the crazy thing. If someone, at some time, copy-and pasted something into a schematic, board, or lib, and you copy stuff from those files into your stuff, going from version to version, all seems fine. But if any of the copies of Eagle used in the process was a cracked one and its serial number gets into CadSoft's database of cracked serials, some day an Eagle version may come along that won't open your documents any more. Each Eagle document seems to include a list of serial numbers of all copies of Eagle that it was opened with which even progresses through copy and pastes of partial files.

Even if you never received stuff from third parties and only work with legal copies of Eagle (like I do), you might some day be locked out of your docs when someone got hold of some discarded ancient install CD with your serial number and that copy got cracked.

It's not like the Eagle program can somehow detect that it has been cracked and put a marker into its files. All the program does is put its serial # into the files, and check the list of serial #'s in each file it opens against a compiled-list of cracked numbers.

Same here.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Are you sure? That would be a rather sub-optimal way to combat hacking. But it is still unlikely to happen here because I do not discard any software carelessly.

To be fair, I have yet to see that level of support on other CAD software. Or any other software for that matter.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote:

It sounds like you are saying that it hasn't been know for decades that DRM is a really stupid idea (even at its best). (Like Dubya) there are a lot of people that see themselves as Pit Bulls and who don't see *refusing to let go of a bad idea* as a fault.

Again: DRM only affects the people you least want to piss off: Your PAYING customers. Making DRM surreptitious is just twisting the knife.

Reply to
JeffM