Sat TV on the eeePC, or 'football', was Eagle on the eeePC, or is it only virtual? pictures :-)

Well, I have a satellite PCI card in the main server, but of course the bandwith required for a full 720x576 screen over DSL at 25 fps is so that it will never do to send it to the eeePC anywhere...

So I modified some old scripts. First this goes on eeePC (I have called the script 'listen', it listens on port

1234: netcat -l p 1234 | mplayer -cache 1000 -

Use ctr alt T, xterm, start ./listen

Now, in a second xterm, ssh -Y IP to the main PC, and run this script on the main PC (the one with the sat card), called 'itv4' for simplicity:

# set motorised dish (if you have one) to point to the right satellite: /usr/local/bin/xdipo -c 1 -g '22.0 E'

# select the channel with the 'football' frequency=10758 polarity=v symbolrate=22000 vpid=2342 apid=2343

# show user what is happening echo "/usr/local/bin/dvbstream -f $frequency -p $polarity -s $symbolrate -o $vpid $apid -ps | /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -f mpeg -i - -f avi -vcodec mpeg4 -b

200 -g 30 -bf 2 -acodec mp2 -ab 64 -s 352x288 -y a1.avi"

# start recording as low bitrate avi, resize. /usr/local/bin/dvbstream \\

-f $frequency \\

-p $polarity \\

-s $symbolrate \\

-o $vpid $apid \\

-ps \\ | \\ /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg \\

-f mpeg \\

-i - \\

-f avi \\

-vcodec mpeg4 \\

-b 200 \\

-g 30 \\

-bf 2 \\

-acodec mp2 \\

-ab 64 \\

-s 352x288 \\

-y a1.avi

# make sure nothing stays running if we stop. killall -KILL dvbstream exit 0

What this does, is create a low bitrate avi of about 264 kbp/s, use other values for a different DSL speed.

Find your own IP address of the eeePC where you are, for example by surfing to (remove spaces)\\ http://www. lawrencegoetz. com/programs/ipinfo/ Now open a third xterm, ssh -Y to the main PC, and type: ipaddress=???.???.???.???

cat a1.avi \\ | \\ /bin/netcat \\

-w 100 \\ $ipaddress \\

1234

Now, after cache fill, ITV4 will pop up on the eeePC, press 'f' for full screen.

That last script I have called 'talk'.

The file is saved on the main as avi too, so you could download it, or view it later, and / or timeshift (remember 'dd -skip' :-) ).

It works for other movies with sufficiently low bitrate too, like my old DivX ones. And it should work for DVB-T terestial if you have such a box (dvbstream supports it).

I need to make a script to select other stations too. dvbstream and xdipo are free GPL on the internet.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje