S/P-dif,AES/EBU over Cat.5 ?

Transformer coupling is done all the time for AES/EBU, with its biphase-mark data coding, but is that also true for S/P-dif? We see either TTL or optical, but generally neither of those two is ac-coupled, isn't that so? I'm trying to remember the spdif waveforms, are they biphase-mark coded as well?.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill skrev:

existing

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Would this setup work? Ie sending AES/EBU audio data over cat.5 cable.

Soundcard "S/P-dif,AES/EBU" TTL-level | \\|/ Line driver (LTC485 or similar RS-422 compatible driver) | \\|/

1:1 Transformer (Like Pulse H1012) | \\|/ < 100m cat.5 ethernet wireing | \\|/ 1:1 Transformer (Like Pulse H1012) | \\|/ Line receiver (LTC485 or similar RS-422 compatible driver) | \\|/ Toslink transmitter (TOTX179P or ekvialient)

The LTC485 is specified at 2.5Mbps maximum. But maybe there is some margin to use if cable runs are short (

Reply to
pbdelete

Done all the time, see epanorama.net for winding cheap aes/ebu transformers. If you have transformers, you already have galvanic isolation. choose a driver /receiver that is pin compatable with faster versions, if you run into probs. probably stuff already made on the Kramer site

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I have seen epanorama's spdif stuff. But there is no schematic info on aes/ebu. Anyway should I place a 100 ohm resistor parallel to the output of the line driver?, or can I just wire the line driver straight to a pulse transformers primary side from an old ethernet card?

I think I'll have to do some "birdnest" wireing to test things.. ;)

Reply to
pbdelete

specified at 2.5Mbps maximum. But maybe there is some margin to

just been brushing up on spdif etc, been some time, but

"The CS8416 includes an AES3/SPDIF digital audio receiver. The receiver accepts and decodes bi-phase encoded audio and digital data according to the AES3, IEC60958 (S/PDIF), and EIAJ CP-1201 interface standards."

If its biphase, transformers are ok in my book

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

existing

SP/DIF is in effect simply a subset of AES/EBU IIRC.

I believe it has no trouble being transformer coupled. Although I fail to see any good reason to do so since the shield connection is also ground anyway.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

snip

thats the one!

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

existing

I suggest you follow the advice that you'll typically find on one the Crystal devices datasheets ( made by Cirrus Logic ) .

Don't bother with transformers. Not necessary unless galvanic isolation is a must.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

someone said Spice. It can show you a rose garden and then on the breadboard it's all weeds.

Good bit of breadboarding........... yep

SPDIF is just a digital signal, nothing special about it , unless you go to stereophoole.com, for a lateral quasimodulated LSB with quantum dither

martin

Reply to
martin griffith