RS485 Qustions

Not used RS485 before, so I need some advice please.

I am designing a control system where there is one master and 80 slaves on a RS485 system. The area I need to cover is some 200+ metres square. The slaves will be scattered over the location in no particular order. I was going to use standard twisted pair Cat5 cable. My questions are

I have chosen the MAX487 chip for the driver/receivers, is this a good choice?

I cannot daisy-chain the wiring because of the way the conduits run under the roads etc. My only option is to run 4 "backbone" runs of 200 metres and take taps off these backbones, off to the slave modules in a tree like fashion. Is this going to work?

Where do I place the terminating resistor?

Is it better to use shielded twisted pair cable or unshielded?

If shielded is the better option, do I connect the shield to mains earth or to my 0 Volt supply?

Thanking you in anticipation. Mark

snipped-for-privacy@markXscotford.com (remove the X to reply)

Reply to
Anti-Spam

You can get almost anything to work if it runs slow enough. I'd drive the 4 runs using 4 drivers, and keep the branches as short as possible. A lot depends on the way you want to work the system. If you need a fast fixed- time poll rate it's a lot harder than if you are checking every few minutes.

Useful article:

How are yoou getting power to the remote units? How much do they take? Is this the caravan site it sounds like?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

I go pretty much go as slow as I like, refresh interval time for each slave, can be as much as five minutes or so.

Can't do 4 drivers, not possible with the cabling routes available to us.

Decided to power each slave individually, as mains power is available at each point. You have a good memory.

Reply to
Anti-Spam

Mark, Definitely take a look at:

I haven't worked with 485 since a "nightmare" remote camera installation project many years ago (pan/tilt/zoom, etc..)

But the above link has lots and lots of ideas, hardware, and the like.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Is there a reason why you are going half duplex? With a single master arrangement there is no need for everyone to listen to everything. If you are going to use off the shelf CAT5 cables you have plenty of conductors and if you go full duplex you can make hubs along the backbone to run off to different areas. Just take advantage of the failsafe of the Maxim receivers and it is pretty easy to make active hubs with a pass through for the backbone. Then each "leg" can handle its' own termination and so on.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

I'm suspecting you will need a few repeaters or drivers since you can't daisy chain.

The best app note I know of for understanding RS-485 wiring is TI's SLLA036. Unfortunately TI does not have this anymore. I googled for it and found it here

TI seems to have another document SLLA173 now. I have not read it so can't vouch for it. It appears to deal with High Speed issues only and not basics.
also might want to look at

Hawker

On 3/27/2007 3:48 AM, The digits of Anti-Spam's hands composed the following:

Reply to
Hawker

Seems you've nothing untowards there. I've done RS485 a few times and the "Art and science of RS-485" PDF at ...

is a really good write up. In a kind, sensible world, we'd be using RS485 instead of that USB nightmare.

john jardine

">

Up to about 56K you could probably get away with no terminators and run in a Star....

Reply to
TT_Man

Reply to
Anti-Spam

you could do a folded bus

(view with fixed pitch font) T O R | detail 1 | U O | N | branch |~~~~~~| -----------o + K \\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\\|DEVICE| -------. /| /=-=-=-\\/--=-=-/|______| \\/ | | |O(2) (1) /\\ | O O| -------' \\| | |O .... sub branch -----------o - O O| | | |O O .--\\/--. detail 2 | | | ------------------ O |device| ------------------ | `------' O ------+ +------- | ----+ | | +----- O | | | | .-|--. | | | | |[R] | last device has | | terminating `----' resistor O | and -=-=- represent a twisted pair 0 | ---- and | etc in the detail diagrams | represent individual conductors power wires are not shown, but if you use 4-pair cat5 cable there's three unused pairs on the trunk and two on the branches that can be used for power.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

I agree with TT_Man. The only reason to have line termination is to eliminate reflections that can distort the waveform. If the bit rate is low enough, you can show that reflections will not interfere with the signal significantly. A lot of our RS-485 applications ran at

19200 and 38400 and they never needed termination. Also, without terminators, there is less load on the drivers which means you can have longer runs or more slave devices. What is your bit rate?

Lou

Reply to
Mr. C