Robotic Vaccum Cleaner -- need help

hi, im doing my final year enginnering in computer science and have chosen to build a vaccum cleaner robot as a project.it carries marks so i need help from u guys all thru to get it done.plz do help this amateur in finishing this. i always love challenges and hence chose this topic.i stay in india,and here all such robotics stuff is considered to be hi-fi and we dont have any professors well versed in that field. it has to be completed within 3 months.i have a small budget(around $100).i have no idea abt the availability of the various electronic parts you ppl discuss in different topics. i have a sound knowedge abt electronics and mechanical but a good c/c++ programmer.i have decided it to be a stepper motor driven robot with proximity sensors all around. it communicates with comp using fm and gets it command ,whether to move forward or back. i need help on topics like

  1. c/c++ libraries supporting parallel port programming.
  2. how do i turn the robot left/right(using axel attached to front wheels or other techniques)
  3. wht type of ic's or controller to use for the stepper motor that i use to drive the robot, or is there any simple methods.
  4. any tutorial( online ) for building simple robots (easy way) thank a lot. Ashwin.
Reply to
ashwinurao

Since you want the rest of the world to do your homework anyway, just go out and beg or steal a little more cash, buy a Roomba robot and paint it a different color. Submit that as your assignment.

I'd like to say this message is prime evidence of why outsourcing to India is a bad thing, except that we see the same messages in here from students in the US.

Reply to
larwe

some of the regulars.

Uh-huh. Try answering my mail for a few weeks. Two or three times a week I receive an email - most of them from India, oddly enough - which reads something like this:

Hello, Mr. Lewin! I loved to read your [article,book,website,used toilet paper,whatever].

I am studying engineering at [institution]. I wonder if you could give some free advice (I am a student and cannot afford to pay) on this project: [2-3 pages of variably coherent project description] Of course you will understand I cannot give details of this application because it will be for a commercial product.

Respectfully and in eager anticipation. [xyz]

So I don't have a lot of time for freeloaders. Nobody else will do my job for me (day-job work, freelance or study); why should other people get a free ride?

Reply to
larwe

Reply to
sdeyoreo

What I find so endearing about this group is the charitable nature of some of the regulars.

Reply to
richard mullens

Best to ignore the lazy and give help to those who appear willing to learn.

Reply to
richard mullens

Try a google query like this for example:-

richard mullens

thnx richard for the help. will look at it. well im not lazy, but just need some guidance as to how to go abt it. i didnt ask to build a robot for me. im going to do everything. as this is uncharted territory for me i just dont know how to go abt it. anyway i didnt expect such harsh reply frm others. thnx for the help.

bye, ashwin.

Reply to
ashwinurao

the regulars.

You misinterpret a favor to the begger. Skipping through school and having others do your homework will not help you later in life.

Reply to
TCS

In the engineering field, you'll face problems like this all the time. Therefore you must learn how to answer your own questions. Being resourceful is critical in this field - those who can do it, flourish, while those who can't, drop out.

That said, have a look here:

This will give you lots of help with every aspect of your robot. It covers everything from ohm's law to stepper motor topologies.

If I may make a suggestion... if you do not already have a reliable RF transmitter and receiver, don't bother building your own - that could easly take three months. I would buy a premade RF module, perhaps a pair like the FMRTFQ1 & FMRRFQ1 at

- but you'll probably want to find a similar vendor closer to yourself.

Have fun.

-- "All this talk of FTL-travel sounds like hocus-pocus, except when considering the speed of graviton flux was at one time said to be infinite." MCJ 200405

Reply to
Mark Jones

Try at least to do a superficial literature search before you post a "Please do my homework for me" question. India does have libraries, doesn't it?

Tom

Reply to
soar2morrow

You might check

I remember there are some l> hi,

chosen

need

has

,whether

Reply to
oookhc

thnx a lot mark. this will surely help. i was just askin for such stuff(ibiblio--books).as i do not have enough time to explore the internet searchin for resources i was thinkin i can get some help findin it so i can finish my project in time.thnx for the rf suggestion also. will surely consider it.

Reply to
ashwinurao

Outsourcing. Hire someone to drive it in India, connect them via a webcam and a remote control. Job done.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hygiene is an important factor that is associated with good health.A health= y living can be considered only when the environment where we live in is cl= ean.Eureka Forbes is a well known brand all over the world for their vacuum= cleaners and has kept homes clean with their advanced technology and power= ful machines that do not spare even the smallest part of the house. With th= eir wonderful features, they have built machines that are able to suck in e= ven the most stubborn particles of dust and dirt that would otherwise be im= possible to get rid of.You can now provide your family with a clean home an= d live a life that is healthy and hygienic with the Eureka Forbes Vacuum cl= eaners.

With their unique style of direct selling of products, they come closer to = their customers and help them choose the right kind of product for their ho= mes.The sales person can help them get the perfect machine for the office o= r home and provide them with the ultimate cleaning machines.These machines = are easy to use and store.They occupy minimal space of your home and can be= taken in every corner of the house.One can enter the remotest corner or th= e high ceiling with the attachments that are provided with the vacuum clean= ers.The cleaners are manufactured keeping in mind the home and office requi= rements.

Reply to
dennis.richard2012

Dear Eureka Forbes spammer/saleman... ESAD. You suck, your products don't suck--but are crap, and bottom line, no reasonable person with a hint of a brain would ever buy your shit.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to