Need help with stepper motor & safe idea

I need a DC stepper to make the lock for a small timer safe. Think of a flat piece of steel about 2" x 1/2" . I drill a hole in one end and slip it onto the shaft of the stepper then attach it there. Then mount this on the door to rotate into and out of a slot on the jamb -- just a very simple kind of latch that will toggle open or closed w/o power having to be continuously applied.

How does one normally attach something to the shaft of a stepper -- can I just weld it? What diameter shaft makes sense? Where can I get a stout battery-operated stepper (i.e. can you help me filter the Google hits?)

What would work better than this dumb idea? (Note: the safe uses an INTERNAL timer and battery. It must be able to latch or unlatch and STAY that way w/o power being applied until somebody opens the door.)

Thanks.

Sammy

Reply to
Sammy Taylor

What happens if the battery goes flat?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

My safes have a gearmotor that pulls a latch open, clossing the safe re-engages the latch.

All of my electronic safes have a battery inside the safe _and_ a battery outside the safe, so if they both go dead you can replace the outside one and still operate it.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Stepper motor? I'd use a dual-action solenoid (like those used in car door locks).

--

Alan "A.J." Franzman

Email: a.j.franzman [ A T ]  verizon [ D O T ] net

Reply to
Alan 'A.J.' Franzman