RFID and Model Railroading

Hello,

I am new to this group and am looking for some help/information/guidance on how to implement RFID for use in sorting train cars to different tracks. I can create a database of cars and there unique car number and assign that to a track. What I need help with is the RFID stuff and the middle ware so to speak that would allow the interface and the setting of switches (railroad switches) via a computer, i.e. track one set switch 1 to straigh switch 2 to turn etc.

Thanks for any help

Jim

Reply to
Jim Schell

RFID is doing this the hard way. Try bar codes on the bottom of the cars instead.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Ok,

Still have the same problem, how to get the interface/middleware to work.

Thanks for the input

Jim

Reply to
Jim Schell

(please bottom post)

Well, you better have some computer chip (microcontroller) in there for a start. Then you need to know how to program it.

A reflecting type of IR emitter/detector device under the track with barcodes taped to the bottom. Properly done barcodes can be read regardless of how fast you scan them.

There could be other approaches (including RFID) but you cant do any of them without a micro in there sorting things out.

I dont currently have a model RR, or I would probably already have done something like this....see website...

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Is this real railroad cars, or model trains? They tried barcodes on the sides of the cars decades ago, but the dust and dirt made it unreliable, plus vandals liked to spray paint over the barcodes.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yea, the OP didn't say whether his setup included tiny little vandals with itsy bitsy cans of spray paint!

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

You never know these days, do you? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

on

that to

(railroad

Just to be safe, I did a Google search for "Hazballah Barbie" - no hits so far...

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

No? Maybe she is too busy chasing Ken for wearing her favorite clothes? I saw it on the local TV news a while back where someone was repackaging Ken dolls in drag and they were being sued by Mattel over it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No I do not intend to have any such little vandals although lionel has marketed some cars with grafitti already on them. Personally I do not like them.

Yes this is for a Model Railroad. Specifically O Scale 1:48

Reply to
Jim Schell

Then you won't have the problems of oil and dirt like on real railroad cars. I still see some railroad cars with barcodes. You might pick up a surplus barcode reader and modify it to read labels on your cars.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida