RF signal generators

OK thanks JW, I'll give it a look see.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

And get 30 dB worse phase noise for free!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

hat

Just

t -

So do you have a favorite spectrum analyzer with TG? (Say 1 to 2 GHz.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I used to have an HP70000 tinkertoy SA that I loved--I bought it new in

1989, when IBM was setting me up with my own lab. It was like an 8566B with more modern software measurements, except that it had a really good synthesized tracking generator.

You can use the HP 8444A (opt 59) tracking generator with the 8568B, but due to some peculiarity of the 8566B's frequency plan, it isn't fully phase locked--there's one oscillator that free-runs.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

een

that

 Just

be

the

I was watching David J. play with the Rigol TG on his eevblog... The TG had an ugly amplitude vs. freq shape, ~ +/-1.5 dB (a +/-3dB spec.) I guess that's somewhat expected given the cost/source.

OK thanks, (Of course whatever band is free-running will be the one I'm someday most intereseted in.)

George H.

t -

Reply to
George Herold