RF relays

That resembles the charge pump construction I was supposed to work on, with Mark Keller as my supervisor, a long time ago. I never ended doing that, but the construction of the experiment was a bit like what Spehro is describing. It contained a low-capacitance needle switch, a bit like what Phil needs. But that's too complicated (=expensive) a construction. Bulky, too.

I have liked to use AQY221N3V's on some of my designs, but they have way too large a capacitance, too. If the price is not an issue, making a series chain of them would be a possibility - although I have never measured what part of the capacitance is across the switch and what part is to the LED.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Mr Stonebeach

I take that back, they would probably span too long a line or arc to be convenient. Then again, there is no avoiding the fact that you need separation in order to attain a low capacitance.

There seems to be a new part, AQY221N3T, which I haven't seen before. It would make the chain even more compact.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Mr Stonebeach

I'm building a spectrometer for another customer that uses an RC servo to move a grating, but it's too noisy and too large for this application, unfortunately.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ge

well,

so far

lay

Hey neat idea... can I steal it? Is the servo stable enough?

George H.

t -

Reply to
George Herold

So, you're saying it grates on him? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Dunno yet. It's for a pretty low-resolution application. You can also get programmable servos if the analogue control is too jittery.

Servo City sells nice hub parts that can easily be hacked^H^H^H^H^H customized to hold gratings

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Trying to use "standard" relays for switching in / out would seem to be a lost cause. As mentioned, the capacitance between the reed and driving coil is (relatively speaking) huge. Furthermore, not mentioned, is the fact of inductive coupling from the coil to the reed. At Fairchild, in the daze of the uA709 and uA741, we were designing a test fixture to measure input current of (at the time) new FET-input op-amp. The idea was to use a standard sample and hold scheme; close a relay to connect DUT input pin to capacitor and measure capacitor voltage at a later specified time; voltage follower at capacitor top. We used the same op-amp for the follower, but it was hand-selected from a fair-sized pile. Capacitive coupling created a step voltage increase in the sampling capacitor (AC voltage divider), and worse, the inductive coupling compounded the problems. We wound up using a discrete non-protected gate MOSFET for the switch, as the leakage was comparable and the capacitance was less.

In this case, a well-cleaned reed relay firmly supported by air (NO standoffs) will have adequately low leakage and can be arranged with a wide-gap magnetic loop to minimize capacitance to the driver coil. A shield directly around the coil will also help reduce dV/dT coupling; another trick is to use bipolar (symmetrical) drive = = one end of coil driven negative and other end driven positive.

Hope this is of some help..

Reply to
Robert Baer

No, I think it'll work fine. The coil can be bootstrapped pretty effectively, at which point the coil-to-contact capacitance becomes a

10%-level perturbation on the bootstrapped capacitance.

With a latching relay, this is only a worry when the coil is energized, and of course one wouldn't expect a stable output at that point--the low frequency gain of the stage is changing by 50x.

Thanks. It isn't ideal, but I think it ought to work fine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"Latching relay" machts nicht..i was referring to the turn-on and turn-off dV/dT spikes combined with the magnetic flux changes which can create problems in sensitive work like this.

Balanced / differential drive helps, combined with a biased drive, ie maximum current that guarantees an OFF condition, allows a much-reduced drive needed for an ON condition. Combined,one has the least induced signals.

Naturally, one can capacitively couple an appropriately shaped pulse of the opposite polarity to more-or less cancel the seen induced spikes.

A remote magnetic actuator is good only for reducing the capacitive component as the field needed for reed activation cannot be reduced. The sneaky drive scheme mentioned can "dramatically" reduce the magnetic spike components.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm not expecting the amp to be well behaved during switching, so as long as the switching spikes don't actually damage it, I'm not particularly fussed about them.

It's the stray capacitance during operation, i.e. between switching events, that's the killer here.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Then firmly weld the reed relay to the air and put the magnetic driver (includes any iron to control your flux capacitor*) as far as space permits.

  • Could not resist..
Reply to
Robert Baer