RF relays

It isn't a coaxial relay, but it is an RF one--controlled impedance all the way. Nice part.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, I should get some of those to test as well. Thanks.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ell,

o far

ay

Thanks...

that g6k looks like an RF relay :-)

Reply to
brent

Those are OK for low power. Try switching in the 1 KW to 500 KW RF range with one.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Another that may have what you need. .02pF

JW

summing

IK, bootstrap the unused contacts.

There's a few pF from the SJ to ground

It's shocking how many people throw away 20 or 30 dB in the front end of an very expensive analytical instrument. I've told the story of the FTMS preamp designed by chemists....

All that is inside the V+ bootstrap? Nice. Now you need a world-class Isink.

You could put that on a small board and sell it.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Too bad that MEMS relays are like fuel cells, always a couple of years away.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Hi Phil, I don't have any relay recommendations, but I was trying to think of how to do it, ?the other way around?.

I just hit me as I was doing something else. So I don?t know if this will help or not. But what about if you put the 50G and 1 G in series and then shorted out the 50G with a relay?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Maybe Teledyne have something to offer.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

George, the 50G resistor will be bypassed by the 0.3 pF relay cap when f>10Hz.

Rgrds Mikko

Reply to
reg

Big magnet because you need the distance because of capacitance? How about reed switches with a ferrite magnet, or ferrite flux guides on a smaller, stronger magnet? Or ferrite flux guides on a solenoid?

I think ferrite is about 10 relative permittivity. These reed switches are tiny...

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

summing

very

designed

I might actually do that. I have a couple of family members apprenticing at the moment, one in firmware and circuit design, the other in PC layout.

A little box like that, with Amazon fulfilling the orders, might be a good place to start. (Amazon charges 7% of sales, plus 50 cents per cubic foot per month. For small, high-value items that no warehouseman in his right mind would pilfer, that's a gift.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

10Hz.

Hmm yeah, dang capacitance.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

As R. V. Jones's colleague put it. (I know you've been reading

*Instruments and Experiences*. Great book.)

The problem is that due to the relay capacitance, at frequencies above a couple of kilohertz, that scheme is no different SNR-wise from the plain

1 G by itself. I have to short out the 1G to get rid of its current noise.

(A capacitor from the SJ to ground increases the noise gain of the stage, but doesn't contribute noise of its own.)

I could put them in series and use a SPDT to short out one or the other, but then I wouldn't have a well-defined circuit point to bootstrap the coil to, so the AC gain might go all over the place. I suppose I could construct such a point, by using lower value resistors and the other section of the relay to switch a voltage divider appropriately. That would have a good deal more voltage noise than the amplifier, though, and it would be more complicated than just grounding the outer layer of the relay coil.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've use a Reed relay with glass innards in my ham radio station for over a decade. Morse code went over it, tons of dits and dahs, and it had to key tube transmitters which taxes the contact quite a lot. Assuming wear-out I had a spare taped to the inside of the box of my electronics keyer. Never needed that spare.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The ones I tested are G6KU-2G-Y.

The section-to-section capacitance goes from 300 fF to 60 fF when I ground the coil, but the open-contact capacitance only goes from 410 to

200 fF, so I guess the actual open-contact capacitance is about 0.2 pF. That isn't horrible--just the resistors will be in that ballpark.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Wasn't there a meter from Fluke or some other company that had push rods which then rolled a piece of foil against contact points? That ought to be the method with the lowest capacitance possible because the contact points can be made very tiny, meaning their free space capacitance is miniscule.

Not really. I am dealing with MEMS right now. The main issue is that while stuff exists it only does so in the more scientific realm, and then when you start talking about >10k units/month sometimes you get a surprised look. The NRE costs to get that done are often incredibly high, pretty much like in the ASIC world.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

But ... 0.45pF between the contacts. Problem with reeds is that the contacts but overlap quite a bit.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Check these out:

The ones with a guard screen could be bootstrapped and that'll take the coil out of the equeation, no matter how you drive it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Phil Hobbs a écrit :

Phil,

your G6K 67dB isolation @ 10MHz translates to 0.14pF

Not bad but I once had similar a low capacitance need and used a panasonic RK1 which provides 60dB min isolation at... tada... 1GHz which translates to 3fF.

A completely different construction and wiring that I guess you can put to good work there.

Hmmm, too bad, I just see that it's been discontinued as of 08/2012. But they probably have a replacement, and digikey still have a few left.

How much max signal do you expect from your 1G output?

--
Thanks,
Fred.