Reverse polarity, Scotty.

I have a customer who wants us to use a stack of fairly rigid Bergquist thermal pad gunk, about the consistancy of used bubble gum, to transfer heat from a pcb, between the bottom of the board and the extruded enclosure. Bergquist wants something like 20% compression, which would bow our board like a potato chip and probably pop the BGA balls.

The customer want us to measure the delta-t from the running board surface (on all production units!) and the enclosure and guarantee 5C max or something. And not stress the board. No thanks.

Extrusions aren't flat or consistant. FR4 cold flows under pressure, so it might take months or years to start cracking caps or BGA balls.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Remember: CE means "Can't Enforce."

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The problem is with the production boards. To save agita, it would be nice to avoid a board spin unless there's something else wrong. It's quite a small-volume device (part of a much larger and more expensive system).

The Schottkys aren't for speed--they save me a volt of drop in the bridge rectifier. Otherwise, what with the 5% power supply tolerance and the droop due to charging up the capacitor, pull-in may be a bit marginal in corner cases.

I can make K1 a 9V relay, but those aren't as widely stocked as the 12V ones. I'll use BAV99RWs for now and switch back to BAT54Ses if we need a board spin anyway.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

How about a stiffener for the other side of the board, with some stress members, e.g. like this:

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I don't know the details of your circuit, but one option to consider is to design the board to be washed in 70 C water, solder using a water-based flux, and wash the completed boards off in a domestic dishwasher using AlcoJet detergent (or equivalent).

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Thanks. It's this ridiculous 50 gigohm front end (relevant portions posted upthread).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Can you put pads both top and bottom? Maybe only 10% compression on each side? (D@mn the expense and full steam ahead.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I've never had any luck bending the leads on those little SMT packages- they tend to break right off. I'd stick it on upside down with blobs of solder re-inforced with little single strands from stranded wire, if necessary. Okay for up to a few dozen pieces, with some small loss in dignity, reliability etc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Excellent idea. I will forward it to their engineering team and, of course, give you full credit.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I was about to say, keep clear of water-soluble flux!

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:39:45 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

Yes, and I actually unsoldered just such an 8 pin with bended up leads (connected to some SMDs) from a ground plane. Never expected it to come out with all pins still on it. but it did. µPB1505GR, 8 pin SOP, :256 prescaler.

Jan Panteltje

No, there are all sorts of parts on the top, and the top cover of the box slides on/off horizontally.

The silly thing is that I proved to them that the d@mn thing is fine, thermally, as designed. Somebody put their finger on the FPGA, thought it felt hot, and things escalated.

I note, in passing, that most peoples' instincts about thermal things, suck.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That does nothing. The schematic already has the anode and cathode clearly marked. The real problem is that the pick-n-place machines can't read the schematics, only the footprint.

Reply to
krw

I've seen leads pulled off components but no failed solder joints. The gloom and doom from five years ago was that commie solder wouldn't make a year without tin whiskers. None so far.

Reply to
krw

They should be reading the CAD file. Older ones needed a XYRS file for that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

ote:

t thermal

rom a pcb,

wants

o chip and

h side? (D@mn the expense and full steam ahead.)

Oh my.. tell me about it! (no thermal instincts) I keep trying to 'wash my hands' of the current project. (I worry a bit that it'll get me fired.) At the heart is a LN2 cryostat. My boss thinks more mass is better, 'cause then the temperature will be stable... As it stands now the probe must hav e several pounds of copper. Byzantine layers are added to try and correct a 'flawed' design. I guesstimated a time constant of ~1000 seconds with 10

0 Watts of heater power for one internal structure. When I try and talk ab out low mass, fast designs, it's like I'm speaking a foreign language.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

According to Hughes it even brought down one of their satellites:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's precisely the problem. The CAD file assumed pin-1 was the cathode and pin-2 is the anode ("the standard says so") - the schematic symbol matches the vendor catalog => the component is backwards.

It was "fixed" by renaming the pins 'C' and 'A', everywhere. No confusion.

Reply to
krw

...and they know the lead wasn't pulled out, because?

Reply to
krw

Ouch. Air gap and long creepage paths.

I'd rinse the still-hot units fresh from the dishwasher in deionized water, then alcohol, and then dip in hot wax, to yield a hydrophobic conformal coating.

I assume that the PCB layout has guard rings et al.

I recall that the old Tek scopes were designed to allow them to be washed with hot water, to get all the dust and salt off the circuitry. The service manual gave the instructions. One did this once avery few years. Greatly reduced drift.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn