Resistor dissipation vs. pulse current

Sounds promising- those rules are a lot more demanding (0.02" PCB width for 2 conductors) than my assumption, and I think I used a number for thermal conductivity that was higher.

AWG 36 phosphor bronze has a resistance of around 10 ohms per meter and about 1/6 the thermal conductivity of a similar diameter copper wire, so around the equivalent of AWG 48 copper wire.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yup, without thinking, I made the mistake of using a several Watt film resistor in a circuit to limit ignition current when starting a mercury short-arc lamp with a spark gap. The film blew off the resistor on the first spark. Replacing it with a composition resistor fixed the problem.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yes, I specifically used 1/4 W 10 Ohm carbon film resistors on my gas tube arrestors on the phone lines into my house. I have had to replace the resistors several times over the last 20 years when a large induced lightning current delivered a big spike. But, they have protected my modem, answering machine and PBX from any damage.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

If you put traces on opposite sides of a thin flex substrate, the magnetic loop area will be so small it might as well be twisted pair.

John

cooled

=A0I

second

at

=46or electrical conductivity check this:

=46or thermal conductivity there is this:

Aluminum, copper, silver, and gold are the most conductive in both cases.

And for alloys such as brass, bronze, kovar, constantan etc., can be looked up just as easily.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

om

rote:

a 5m-ohm

figure out

stor in

close*

5mm,

edicted

he

the

e?

6.5

PCB

t is

ate.

ts,

into

with

web

from

nto

on.

led

=A0I

cond

text -

ng

xt -

Product

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 649

0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 650

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 1200

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0708

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 677

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0735

67 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0737

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 1065

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 864

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 1056

Phosphor bronze 10.9 a bit

Here's a better link (maybe)

.pdf

Interesting conclusion.. copper might be better than phosphor bronze. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

5m-ohm

figure out

at

For cryogenic applications it might be different--the thermal conductivity isn't anything like constant, so you have to use the thermal conductance integral instead of just the thermal conductivity times the temperature drop. The best source I know of for that is the Lakeshore catalogue.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

com

a 5m-ohm

u figure out

istor in

close*

.5mm,

redicted

the

r the

te?

6.5

e PCB

at is

rate.

ots,

t into

e with

r web

t from

into

son.

oled

. =A0I

econd

text -

ing

t to

ext -

=A0 Product

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 649

=A0200 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 650

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 1200

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0708

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 677

=A035 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0735

=A067 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0737

5 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 1065r

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 864

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 1056

t -

Yeah, the thermal conductivity of Copper increases for a while as you go below room temperature. The paper talks about tapered conductors, which sounds expensive, till you think about copper traces on flex or fiber glass.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold