relays

We use a cute little latching relay that will pull in in 500 usec, using about 125 microjoules, just once. After it's pullec in, it will easily dump 50 watts, which is 50 joules per second. Measured over one second, its power gain is 400,000. Over one year, it's 1.3e13. There's no limit on the power gain if you're patient enough.

John

More Larkinese obfuscation.

The point is that _some_ power is used to turn the valve on, so no
matter how much water comes out, for whatever length of time, if power
gain is expressed as the ratio of work out to work in:

           Wo
     Gp = ----
           Wi

Gp can never be infinite as long as Wi is non-zero.

It\'s exactly the same as charging up the gate of a MOSFET and yet you
don\'t say a MOSFET has infinite gain, do you?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
To get to infinite power gain you\'d have to wait forever.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

^ power

JF

Reply to
John Fields

On a sunny day (Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:47:11 -0600) it happened John Fields wrote in :

No, for Wo infinite, Gp is also infinite.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You are attempting to define power gain as joules in and watts out, but joules are not a unit of power and thus cannot be used to define power gain. Joules are a unit of energy, watts are a unit of power. energy is a measure of power over time; one joule equals one watt for one second. Your latching relay has an arbitrarily large *energy* gain, but energy gain is not power gain.

Also, arbitrarily large is not the same as infinite. As you wait longer and longer the energy gain becomes larger and larger, but for it to be infinite you would have to wait an infinite amount of time. Your relay is not capable of keeping up that 50W output forever. It will, for example, stop working when all the protons in the atoms that it is made of decay. Thus the claim that "a latching relay has infinite gain" cannot be true.

Those who flame others for making technical errors in Usenet posts should take care to avoid making technical errors of their own.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Work is energy, not power. *Energy* gain is expressed as the ratio of work out to work in. Not power gain.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Sure; the integral is unbounded. What's your rush?

John

That'd

It has some gate leakage current, so no, its power gain is finite. If the valve eventually fails for some reason, its power gain would be finite, too... depending on the failure mode.

The power gain of the valve, or a latching relay, is an integral with no upper bound. If you name any finite power gain, I can name an interval over which the gain is 10x as much. So there is no upper limit. As an engineer, "no upper limit" means "infinite" to me.

John

But, in the real world, Wo can never go infinite since there\'s not
enough time to pump an unlimited amount of water through the faucet, nor
is there an unlimited amount of water.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Am not. I am merely averaging the power gain over time.

Oh, thank you. We always appreciate your helpful lectures.

Joules are a unit of energy, watts are a unit of power.

Protons don't decay.

Those who lecture should do a little fact-checking first.

John

Ah, the expected dodge.

FACT is, the statement you made that a latching relay has infinite gain
is just plain wrong.

Why can\'t you admit that?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

On a sunny day (Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:53:27 -0600) it happened John Fields wrote in :

I absolutely agree. It is a theoretical game.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

message

That'd

--
There may be no upper limit to what appears in the numerator, but it
seems that in order to further the pretext of infinite gain you\'ve

That means that even if the numerator were to become infinite the
quotient couldn\'t.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

It may not be infinite, but it can be arbitrarily large!

Reply to
Greg Neill

message

That'd

water

Careful, mathematically the limit:

limit(x --> oo, x/k) --> oo for finite k.

Reply to
Greg Neill

The gain isn't infinite in that Win > 0, and Wout < infinity.

True, BUT, we being engineers, it's close enough.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

That'd

Hey, we could do (and do do) this with MOSFETs too--load up the gate, then leave it on.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

I consider something that's unbounded to be infinite. What other definition of "infinite" makes sense?

John