relays

But if you push the button only half as hard, does it blow up half the city?

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has
temporarily been turned off.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

No. It doesn't obey a proportional-control law. It's strictly a bang-bang control.

Reply to
Dave Platt

--
True, but trivial.

So far so good...
Reply to
John Fields

--
Yup, brain fart.

Thanks.

Maybe this\'ll make it easier to understand:

There may be no upper limit to what appears in the numerator, but it
seems that in order to further the pretext of infinite gain you\'ve
forgotten that the denominator will forever limit the quotient to
something less than what appears in the numerator.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Most, maybe all, nukes have a finite probability of a fizzle of various partial yields. It has to do with nanosecond timing, initiator performance, and stray neutron density. North Korea's 2006 test may have been a fizzle.

The initiator seeds the fission reaction with a very few neutrons, as few as 10 by some references. That makes the chain reaction statistically dicey.

John

Countercase: denominator = 0.1

Besides, infinity * K = infinity, for any K > 0.

John

The denominator is the one on the bottom. The numerator is the gadget on top. We's better agree on that before trying any hard stuff.

And we were discussion power gain, and power isn't measured in colombs.

John

That still doesn\'t make the quotient infinite.

Assuming the same numerator in both cases and a denominator of 1 in the
previous, all it does is increase the quotient by an order of magnitude.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Well, what was what should have been obvious from the context, but
thanks for the correction.  As far as the simple stuff goes, you don\'t

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Sure--limiting I.F. amplifiers have gain.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

--
 :-)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

But it does sort of conflict with the paragraph above. Division can make things bigger, not just smaller. 250 microjoules is a nice small number.

By waiting a long time.

I don't want to argue about the meaning of "infinity", given that mathematicians and philosophers have been haggling over it for centuries. You aren't a mathematician or a philosopher, so you might not expect to add much to the discourse.

The average power gain of a latching relay is arbitrarily large, unbounded, "infinite" to this working engineer, and that fact can be very useful in actual designs. And very nice, surface-mount, fast, reliable latching relays are affordable nowadays and are worth considering.

John

Sorry, I'm an engineer, and engineering units are important to me. I can't discuss power gain when the equation is in units of charge.

Loser? Business is holding up pretty nicely, so far.

John

Most people work with amp-hours in battery design.

But he would not have considered you to be a smart-ass if you's used that line. Something else entirely.

Do you ever drive latching relays?

John

Yes. I've even used "delay" relays ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Some have volume (a.k.a. yield knobs. Is that "gain"?

--
Keith
Reply to

Wasn't NK's a U bomb? There are no tricky timings with them.

Modern weapons, but fancy isn't necessary to make a bang.

--
Keith
Reply to

This advice comes from a guy who doesn't know a numerator from a denominator, thinks a coulomb is a unit of power, declared that division can only make things smaller, and missed the fact that K*1 = K.

John

No, everything's fine, except for the nose surgery maybe. Or maybe I've been writing too much code; programming does make me a little testy.

What's interesting about such threads is how many presumed electronic designers really have a terrible grasp on fundamentals. And worse, they are willing to take preposterous positions just to oppose someone that they don't like, which is letting their emotions dominate their reason. It's too temping to lead them on, into flat absurdity.

I suppose I should get back to hardware design. We're playing with the idea of a credit-card-sized digital delay generator, which ought to be fun.

John