Relay contact rating

"joseph kook"

Hello, the current rating is 2 A. Use at 5A is beyond ratings, very poor life at best.

** Got any idea what the peak to RMS ratio of music programme is ??

Think 5:1 or more times, in terms of voltage or current.

So the average RMS current is not likely to exceed 1 amp.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Peak to RMS ratio" is nonsensical in this vein; don't you mean
"dynamic range" instead?
Reply to
John Fields

--
Figured it out, did you? ;)
Reply to

[and used to switch a low-impedance audio signal to a speaker]

But, the relay rating is for DC or 50/60 Hz AC power supplies, and the audio signal is broadband AC. That means many harmonics might add to make transient peaks far beyond any reasonable ratings.

A 5x 'crest factor' is commonly applied to audio AC, and that means a 1A average current is handled by >5A transistors in an amplifier. The transistors can fail in a millisecond or so with overstress.

The relay is not going to be repeatably switching peak currents, it's going to have a few transient peaks while completely open or completely closed. So, 1A of heat-producing current is associated with 5A peaks, AND THE RELAY ONLY CARES ABOUT THE 1A number. The relay will take seconds, not milliseconds, to fail with overcurrent.

Reply to
whit3rd

"John Fields = TROLL"

** A continuous signal has a crest factor.

Compressed rock/pop music has similar characteristics to ( audio band limited) pink noise, which has a crest factor of about 13dB.

It represents a typical, worst case scenario for a domestic amplifier.

Fuck head.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"John Fields = TROLL "

** Fuck off - you stupid, autistic wanker.
Reply to
Phil Allison

DC.

oor

I believe the correct term is crest factor, dynamic range is something entirely different

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I believe the correct term is crest factor, dynamic range is something entirely different

** Correct.

Dynamic range of music programme refers to the difference ( in dBs ) between the loudest and softest passages in a piece of music.

Highly compressed pop music has a very narrow dynamic rage ( maybe only 3 dB ) and closely resembles band limited pink noise in most other respects.

The crest factor of pink noise is about 13 dB, unless there has been some deliberate tampering to get the figure lower - eg heavily clipping the peaks brings it down to 6 dB.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

use

or DC.

poor

I did not say it would not work. I said that life would be poor. Big difference.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I remember this being demonstrated in the earley seventies at the BBC using 'Telstar'by the Tornados. The PPM needle barely moved.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

** Sounds bloody awful by modern standards:

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--