Recirculating pump for instant hot water.

Consumer Reports has some hand mixer ratings. Breville Handy Mix Scraper BHM800SILUSC Score 83. $130 KitchenAid Architect KHM7210 7-Speed Mixer Score 75. $50 Cuisinart HM-8GRP1 Mixer Score 75. $80 The top one had a 5 outta 5 score for mixing chocolate chip cookie dough. The other two scored 4 outta 5.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Well, corded variable speed electric drills are cheap. I'm too lazy to make my own stuff. Thank goodness for microwave ovens.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Aluminium is cheaper & does show up in chinese motors, & even mains leads.

Reply to
Tabby

returning the water via the cold circuit is multiple kinds of wrong. Power the circulating pump from a kitchen PIR.

Reply to
Tabby

But, I'm sure you can understand that in most instances, people are not willing to re-plumb their home to make use of a recirculating pump. Also, recirculating the water is preferable to dumping in the drain. In my area the cost for sewer is almost 2 times the cost of the water. btw, could you list those multiple kinds of wrong? Mikek

Reply to
Lamont Cranston

you generally don't want any risk of getting contamination, including your hot water, into the potable cold water system

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

So hot water is not potable??? I never knew that. I guess everytime I run the hot water, I should then run the cold water a while to clean the tap?

This whole idea of running hot water through the system to keep the water in the pipe hot is silly. They make instant hot water heaters for sinks, that do this job and only need an outlet.

Reply to
Ricky

Not everybody can use those; they need an ample electricity supply.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

We desalinate sea water, so water for the city is not scarce, but not that cheap. I think it is subsidized for the time being.

Here, I think they assume it is equal to our water intake, so it is charged in the same invoice at some rate. Garbage too. Varies per city.

Carlos E.R.

I seem to recall the plumber saying to test the valve periodically, so it is not expected to fail. Anyway, the electric hot water tank itself is not expected to last :-p

Same thing.

Oh, the sensor is external, coupled to the pump; it is used in houses using water from a well or reservoir in the cellar, or in tall buildings.

The "air side" has the same type of valve used in car wheels, to inflate them. With the thing as empty of water as can be, the air side is inflated to just a bit over the minimum water pressure (the value at which the pump triggers on).

On the roof? Well, yes, we had that at a house my parents had. But that reservoir was just 300 or 400 litres. There was another reservoir under the ground, some 14 cubic metres. An automatic pump filled the roof reservoir as needed.

In this case, there was municipal water, but during the high season it was a trickle. The big tank was underground precisely to capture that trickle during the night ;-)

My parents eventually sold that beach place and bought another, which had instead a single reservoir in the garage, with a pump, metal sphere and pressure switch. Less hassle. If the municipal pressure was high enough, the system deactivated automatically (just a non return valve).

:-D

We take for normal what we have :-)

This is a dry area. Water came from wells, then from rivers up to 150 Km away, and now from desalinization of the Mediterranean sea.

Next advancement here will be installing huge solar panels to power them and thus lower the costs.

Regional right wing politicians want to bring water from other regions, but the politicians in those regions, all sides, say no way in hell. So, I guess that's a no, no matter how much they bitch here. Desalinization it will be :-}

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

For a sink, it uses a standard 120V, 15A connection. Who doesn't have that??? Are you talking about some third world country? If they can't power this unit, how could they possibly power a hot water tank? Mine is 240V, 18A.

Reply to
Ricky

Most houses here have a contract that limits total instant power to 3.5 KW. It certainly is not a third world country. You can have more power, up to 15 KW, but it is significantly more expensive.

Hot water tanks take 1 KW, maybe two if the tank is big. Mine I changed to take 0.5 KW.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

They are not problematic here. That is, every system has its advantages and cons.

There is a minimum flow, yes, but that's not a problem with modern electronically controlled units.

There are two main types here: constant gas flow, or dynamically controlled to keep a constant water temperature.

Constant gas flow is cheaper. There is a manual regulator. The temperature changes with the water flow: half water flow, double temperature. The electronics can run from batteries.

The other is significantly more expensive. The heater needs electricity for the controller and actuators. It is typically double use: it also drives the house heating (hot water radiators).

The current generation are called "condenser type". The fumes exhaust is at almost ambient temperature, so that the water vapor condenses into water. This type requires that the gas is good quality, and yearly maintenance, because that water can be acidic and corrosive. But uses much less gas than "normal" heaters.

Scale formation? I haven't hit that problem yet. Depends on the city, I guess. They last typically about 15 years, which is about the same for electric heaters.

Mandatory inspection every 5 years (for every type of gas installation).

It is cheap: my unit spends one butane bottle (13KG) every two months. Sanitary water only, not condensing, no automatic temperature regulation, one person.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Looking at my bill, the sewer charge is 2.05 times the water bill. Garbage pickup (required by the city) is another $36 a month. I may be working my way out of the pump, I'm looking a a single basin sink, this will move the drain piping away from one side of the cabinet. With that freed up space, I would have room for a water heater under the sink. Already have electricity. This doesn't take care of the showers, but this whole thing started with me wanting instant hot water at the kitchen sink and then expanded from there. Now I'm looking at a new sink, faucet, soap dispenser, drain, drop in cutting board, and in sink draining rack. It is expanding in price.

Reply to
Lamont Cranston

Sheesh, the nice sink I am looking at, is sold by, Business Name: ChangshashiDuoziMuxingrenXiaoshouYouxianGongsi Makes me wonder!

And zero reviews. Mikek

Reply to
Lamont Cranston

Where would the heat come from?

We don't have a cooling season. We leave the heat on all year.

It must take forever to heat a tank of water. Sounds rather dysfunctional. My microwave oven uses more than 0.5 kW and it is some 40 years old. A hair dryer uses 1.44 kW. I guess you have to turn off all sorts of things to use a stove. But then maybe you have gas. No, if that were true, you would have a gas hot water heater.

Sorry, this is not very easy for me to digest. The water uses the same amount of energy to heat up if you do it at 0.5 kW, or 5 kW. I just can't picture how it can be practical at 0.5 kW. I can take a shower and have a tank full of hot water in an hour. At 500 watts, it takes 10 hours.

I just can't picture how this is useful. Ok, not third world. Maybe world 2.5.

Reply to
Ricky

Years ago I saw flats each on a 5A feed. Residents had problems. Solution was to mark current draw on every plug & not exceed 5A total. Perfectly doable, though hardly ideal.

Reply to
Tabby

No, the system I talk about is whole house on demand, gas fired. It is very common here. One per home, typically a kitchen and two bathrooms.

Granted, for simultaneous use it better be the dynamically controlled expensive type or the temperature will fluctuate a lot.

The advantage is price, and endless hot water.

I have never seen here a gas fired hot water tank, only electric. Instant on demand, electric powered, is very rare, I have never seen anyone use it; only seen it at one hardware store.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Actually, it takes about four hours, the tank has 50 litres. Runs on a timer during the night, if I activate it. I prefer the gas fired on demand hot water system (yes, I have both systems). There is only one person in the house, I don't need the hot water tank to reheat till next day.

No, you simply are wasteful and think the rest of the world runs the same way :-p

Reply to
Carlos E.R.