really great circuit concepts

See this week's (July 6) EDN, page 32.

When is good enough good enough? [1]

John

[1] Which I would have written as "When is good enough, good enough?"

Very strange word, "enough."

Yes, it creates whole troughs full of roughness when you try to remember how to spell it -- and you can't always cough your way through a spelling bee.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

And that's tough.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I've never known that woman to write anything other than gibberish. The particular article to which you refer is a case in point, no beginning and no end, just mindless use of RSS, and characteristically superficial. She can't get anywhere because she has no foundation, maybe she serves as an example of what not to be.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

It's even worse than that other airhead article on measuring magnetic field strength of switchers- the article appears to be a subterfuge for publishing the field probe amplifier because it's missing about 99% of the information one would expect from the title. When the body of the article does not support the title, the author ends up publicizing his incompetence.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Did you check out the schematic? It uses a very clever approach to reducing gain drift.

Looks like EDN is going the way of Electronic Design: expensive ads separated by just enough unchecked garbage "editorial" content to keep the post office happy. We've pulled our print ads from both.

John

It does? How so? I did not see what's-her-name deriving any gain distributions from her RSSing.

Those SOBs contact and charge the manufacturers/suppliers for inclusion in those "technology survey" articles, they are just another form of advertising, largely incoherent, and a waste of time.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

[snip]

How can I see that article on the EDN website?

...Jim Thompson

It's

the 7/6 edition- or run google "when is good enough good enough" including quotes and it takes you right to it.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

But input-signal-to-ADC gain drift is zero!

John

Because it appears to be ratiometric?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Because it's grounded halfway through!

John

Ya know, I was trying to find a point in that article myself and failed. I thought it was me ;)

Reply to
Brian

I'm not seeing any ground. Are you referring that input RC on the LPF? She did say it was a temperature sensor, not everyone runs their ADCs at

1GHZ.
Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Bizarre. See pic in a.b.s.e.

John

In the online version, they inserted a cap, correcting it. In print, it is straight to ground.

Either way, the articles usefulness is unchanged :)

Reply to
Brian

You mean uselessness- I was wondering what the hey-all he was talking about:

Fred Bloggs

Yes, in this case, the articles usefulness and uselessness were identical.

I read alot of the trade pubs. It seems, other than reader contributed stuff, the articles range from completely uninformative or wrong, to grossly opinionated and one-sided (advertorial in nature). I get alot more info here on the newsgroups.

Reply to
Brian

They are a lot worse now than they were 30 to 40 years ago. I slowly quit taking them from about 30 to 25 years ago just for that reason. Still during that time i tried a lot, and only continued the best; until there were none adequate.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller