Real Time Clock Hardware

I've got a couple of spools in my toolbox in the hangar. Coming down through Rocklin any time this week? Or even better, Grass Valley?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Now that's an idea. I don't floss, we use ultrasonic brushes so I don't know about that stuff. What kind should I get (we've got a Longs Drugs store here in the village)? Why wouldn't you use it in production? Is it skinnier than regular lacing cord?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, Dave! I've emailed you but 20ft is definitely enough.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks for the offer, Jim. Dave wanted to send me a little via mail. I'll also ask a neighbor who just completed his 2nd aircraft whether he knows a local source (with public access and not behind an airport security fence). But the last days he was gone, he's logging hours in his new toy like crazy. Can't blame him.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I assume you are running something other than Windoze on them. I am not familiar with Forte Agent.

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to

Did you try these guys?

Their sites are ok, for the most part. But I have only needed rather mundane stuff, don't know how it would be for real boutique parts. They do go back to their catalogs but it isn't nearly as slow as Digikey. To my utter amazement I once stumbled across unusual stuff at McMaster-Carr: You can even buy salt and pepper shakers there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You really appreciate how *good* most of the electronics sites are when you have to use some of the mech ones. One mold component maker, for example, has 3D models of many of their parts. The interface is insanely clumsy- for example you can search by their names such as "Jiffy Tite" (if you can remember them exactly) but cannot search by their part numbers-- otherwise you have to drill down through their entire catalog for each part (of course it's a *different* catalog from the online part catalog, which, in turn, is modelled after their print catalog in sort-of logical sections rather than being searchable). They (DME) are one of the biggest suppliers and it's pretty awful. Then there is Hasco. One of their salesman told me today that he has no problems (but, of course, he uses the German catalog).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

XP. It's not authorized, but it seems to work fine, given that we had to download some disk drivers.

Agent is a nice news client. There's a free version, but the paid one, $20 or some such, is worth it.

John

The above-mentioned sites are decent (like Digikey, useful as references too), but they just don't carry such specialized parts. Once you get beyond adequate quality SH cap screws and O-rings, they fizzle out quickly. Here's a view of a 3D model of a portion of a mold I designed:

You can see titanium spacers, a special copper alloy sprue bushing, leader pins, titanium tubular dowels, and such like even in just a simple couple of plates.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Unscented!

I've seen waxed thread used in leatherwork, try a craft store, or saddlery.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Cool! But electrical engineers aren't s'posed to do that stuff :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

ROFL!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Reminds me of a friend who had to do a field repair in Australia. When he arrived the panel of the control box was already off. So he fixed it. Then he closed the box by mounting the panel. BIG mistake. He was read the riot act by a high-level manager. "What were you thinking?! That was the job of the mechanic and he belongs to another union and now we'll be in hot water there..."

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I'm always doing stuff I'm not supposed to. ;-)

At least it has a bit of electricals in it (connectors, heaters and thermocouples).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

In message , Joerg writes

Get the mint stuff if your equipment is likely to be used by smokers, makes it much more pleasant for the service techs.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

I remember laced cable trays from my days in Telco. It was considered a fine art to have 3-4 layers of cables in a tray, all neatly tied down with no kinks or crossovers.

Of course, they were paying the price for all that craftsmanship!

They were converting the office from the old SxS equipment, which was expected to last for centuries to electronic gear with lifetimes of decades. The new equipment was expected to change too often to tie down the cables, so the new paradigm was to have a the cables loosely laid in what can best be described as a rat's nest over the racks. To get to the frame, they ran new cable trays above the old ones, and just laid the new cables any which way in the tray.

Then, as soon as the equpipment was switched over, they cut up all that nice laced up cable for recycling... :-(

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

In message , Joerg writes

LOL, and that's what killed the UK computer industry. Electrical crew to isolate the equipment, mech team to remove the equipment from the rack, tech to fault find, wireman to solder the bits in, tech to test and qualify, rinse and repeat, re-assembly was the reverse of disassembly in the tradition of the best auto manuals. Unions sucked ass big time until they got their nuts crushed by a certain woman in the 80s.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Sad. There are good reasons why lacing is still required in many mission-critical applications. When looking at aircraft cable harnesses it becomes quite obvious why.

When I did wax rope lacing I didn't think it took me longer than "modern" methods. It's probably an acquired art just like knitting. I still don't understand how my wife juggles those needles.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Seen some installations where a group of 9 cables (~100 pairs each) were box-laced together and were free standing vertically from the ground floor to the 1st floor part of the exchange. These cables fanned at the top of the stand. True art.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

Those of us who are "Systems Engineers" do have to do that stuff as well as the electrical, electronics and software. I also do:-

Ultra High Vacuum Cryogenics Transport Logistics COSHH Assessments DSEAR Assessments Microwave Plumbing Water Systems Plumbing Carpentry Model Making Librarian Document Registrar Finance Manager Mechanical Assembly

Paul E. Bennett ....................