Re: XP USB Thumb Drive Removal

> >It's just a nusiance really. =A0Anybody know the cause of this > >behavior? =A0It is not limited to thumb drives. =A0I've got a couple > >cameras that do the same thing. =A0Also, it's not reliably repeatable. > >Occasionally things "eject" just fine. > > I just yank them out. There's a setup mode that disables write > caching.

And you trust the driver to do this entirely reliably. That is very brave! (the risk of data loss is extremely low unless a write actually is in progress)

I would prefer to have them readonly by default unless I actually want to write to them. It is hard for even the most unreliable OS to corrupt media when it cannot enable a write operation due to hardware interlocking. I would also prefer that cameras were implemented as readonly PC devices by default with active intervention needed to upload stuff.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown