Re: Willcox ESR Meter (was Poptronics Magazine)

[...]I want to relate a problem I experienced

>while trying to send an email[...] >with several JPG attachments (Willcox ESR meter MkII) using Agent. >The file was too big and my ISP email server stopped the transfer. >

a.b.s.e has been mentioned. That would seem to give the most bang for the bandwidth used, considering the nature of the data.

Email attachments have always seemed to me to be a 4th-rate way to share something; there's a lot of overhead (33%)--just awful for a 1-time iteration. If you're doing it more than once for the same file, that gets into *terribly wasteful* territory.

Parking the file on a server and mailing a link to that Web address seems more logical to me

--especially if there will be multiple recipients.

For those without a personal Web site, there are even fewer restrictions than on binary Usenet groups at The Pirate Bay's image hosting service (in Sweden):

(though **how folks would find out about the file(s)** gives a.b.s.e a bit of an edge).

When I deleted the attachments from the email (from within Agent) >I soon found that the files had also been purged from the source folder - >they weren't even sitting in the recycle bin. >

Bummer. Good to know. This is when *verbose* dialog boxes don't seem like a bad thing. I remember trying to use an app called Free Download Manager and got some vague and confusing callouts. (The developer's first language is obviously not English and I was used to GetRight, which is very well thought out.)

I used a freeware prog called Restoration >

I hate it when authors give such generic names to good software. It makes them difficult to Google.

and was able to recover all but one insignificant file. >

I use Handy Recovery 1.0 for this

--but versions after v1.0 are no longer freeware . 8-(

Reply to
JeffM

Your ISP might have a "personal web space", where you get maybe 10 MB for a web site. I know every one I've ever had has; there's also free websites available (that are full of ads), and I've even heard of sites that host pictures like that.

Not that a.b.s.e is a bad thing - actually, it filters the googlies, so it's a lot quieter. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi