Re: Variable inductor

The inductor can be tapped and the taps switched by pin diodes.. Made a n oscillator (for a synthesiser) years ago with varicaps to interpolate the tuning between tapped steps. The taps were switched when the varicap control voltage was above or below a window value. An alternative to a multiloop pll synthesiser for wide band., cant recall ssb noise results or total tuning range.

> I'm looking for a variable inductor (approx 10mm size) that > > has a range of at least 2:1. This is for use in a 50-100MHz > > tuned circuit, and I've calculated that Imin=185nH, and > > Imax=366nH. Does anyone know if such a range is possible? > > For a 2:1 range in resonant tuned frequency you'd need > a 4:1 range in variable inductance. That's more than > most adjustable pot-core inductors, etc., provide. A > quick review of various parts shows about 2:1 maximum. > > There are several ways to create variable inductors. > > One is to make an air coil and adjust a tuning slug in > and out of the coil. This may be your best approach. > Coilcraft has a nice selection of coils with tuning > slugs, but most, like the Unicoil 10mm series, can't do > a 4:1 range.
> > A second way is the classic variometer. Here the coil > is split into two parts, wired in series, where one of > the coils is capable of rotating within the other. If > they are aligned the inductance is nearly doubled over > a single coil. But, if the orientation of one coil is > rotated with respect to the other the inductance will > be reduced, and if they're reversed it can be very low. >

> > If the coils are wound in spherical shapes, it's easier > to nest one inside the other and orient it as desired. >

> > It's easy to get > 10:1 ratios by this technique. > > You can also slide one coil in and out of the other. >

> > A third method for obtaining wide variable inductance is > with a rolling slider bar making a variable winding tap. >
> > The links and pictures I have provided are for working > at low frequencies with large inductors, but I imagine > most of the concepts can be miniaturized. > > An interesting pot-core tuning technique that may be > useful for you is to run a DC current through the coil > to saturate the core, dropping its permeability. This > scheme could probably be used to exceed a 4:1 ratio. > > An issue to evaluate is your required tuning stability. > > > -- > Thanks, > - Win
Reply to
dougfgd