Inductor polarity?

Why would a surface mount inductor have polarity markings? I know there are polarity markings on transformers, but a single-winding inductor?

Reply to
John S

Bah, we see all sorts of nonsense. The other day I saw a circuit diagram with polarity dots at *both* ends of the *same* transformer winding, and none for the other.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Oh. I think one of the dots migrated to the wrong side.

Reply to
John S

Was it a power component intended for line operation? Some of these have built-in fusing and the dot indicates the fuse end, which should be connected to the incoming line side.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It might semi-usefully indicate the N pole in a DC-bias situation. In some old TV circuits, a biased inductor (with a permanent magnet) was used. Otherwise, it's just a relic from a different design requirement (perhaps to make coupled inductors by positioning or by applying a winding later).

Antistatic markings on a package of nuts and bolts, same kind of relic.

Reply to
whit3rd

So manufacturing doesn't pester engineering about which way to load the part?

So the magnetic field isn't reversed?

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

For a wounded coil you have an inner winding turning into outside windings. Normally in a switching environment you have a heavyly switching node and the other side is much less noisy. So yes, inductors, as wound foil or electrolyt capacitors have a polarity.

Bye

--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

is it shielded?

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This one has merit, Most of them sit on square pads and are a short barrel shape core, and especially true if the part only has (connected)pads on one edge of that square pad.

It is in the Z axis, silly man.

But let's say it was oh... MELF package. Do you think it flips the N and S if you flip the inductor end for end on the mount?

Nope. Wire, nail, battery. Field ONLY flips if battery is flipped. Flip the nail and North remains on the same side it was before the nail flip. Flip the leads and regardless of initial nail position the pole flips.

Ooh... oooh... I know one... So you don't get them wrong when putting them in series or parallel. Hehehe Nope!

Turns direction matters in such cases... (not here though, only within the same core field)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If you swap the pads you get to choosde positive or negative Z direction, that may matter for some applications.

if it's layered start or end will have different E field effects.

If Z axis and putting them in parallel you'll get weak positive or negative coupling depening if they oppose or not.

huh?

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Unshielded drum cores leak a lot of H field, or pick up fields. A nearby pair can be connected so that the coupling cancels far-field. But you've got to get the polarities right. It is a niche application.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Yes, I was going to say that. We wind our own power inductors in a large-ish buck converter and the switch node is connected to the inductor end that is on the inside (start) winding and the outside (finish) is on the outside which is connected to the filter capacitor.

Keeps the noise emanating from the inductors to a minimum.

John Larkin Basically said this same kind of thing.

Reply to
boB

Well, I'm guilty of incomplete information. Sorry. No, it not intended for line operation. It is for a low power buck PS.

Reply to
John S

On the development board I have, the dotted end is going to the load and the other end goes to the switch. So I will do the same on my board.

Thanks, Uwe.

Reply to
John S

Yes. It is a TDK SLF10145 type.

Reply to
John S

It /may/ be useful if you have some close to each other, for example using two smaller inductors instead of a bigger one for reasons of space or form factor. It may not, but it's free.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Winding start, would be inside or outside?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

They don't say. In my past life, a dot would indicate the start of the winding.

Reply to
John S

One possiblity is it has a bias magnet in it which allows it to operate at higher current in the intended direction before saturation sets in.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thanks, Jon, but it does not have such a thing.

Reply to
John S