Re: U.S. and China race to shield secrets from quantum computers

I don't believe quantum computers will ever deliver. One-time- pads aren't really a solution either. There are two problems: How do you produce them and how do you deliver them?

The beauty of public key encryption is that anyone can send you an encrypted message that only you can decrypt. The public key is the product of two very large primes and the algorithm is such that that you need the individual primes, the private key, to decode the message. The security of the algorithm relies on the difficulty of finding those primes.

Up to present, as far as I know, quantum computers haven't yet succeeded in finding the prime factors of numbers with more than three digits. There is still a long way to go. As I understand Shor's algorithm, they aren't likely to ever get there. I believe the limits of Shor's algorithm are about the same as our ability to measure time or frequency, with goes to 18 digits or so, a far cry from the 512+ digits required to attack current public key algorithms by that approach.

Historically, it has always been far easier to capture the sender or addressee and menace/torture him a bit.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

It's surprisingly difficult to produce cryptographic-quality random numbers. It's easy for some undetected bias to creep in, which gives a toehold to eavesdroppers.

The delivery problem is not how to store the OTP. It's rather how you deliver it into the hands of the intended recipient while making sure that only *he* gets it. It's not impossible, embassies do it all the time. It's just a huge hassle, and things do go wrong from time to time.

So we get told. Let's wait and see. For the moment, my belief is that it's all hype. I think the usual talk of quantum bits being in many states simultaneously is balderdash. I think the QM view merely encodes the statistics of events if you perform many measurements. Any single measurement just gives you a single result. However, believing thus is a luxury unavailable to those for whom reliable cryptography is essential.

As Don pointed out, the process of selecting a unique pair of huge primes to create public and private keys is a weak spot of public key encryption, more serious than the hypothetical menace of quantum computers.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

.