Re: technical question about harddisks

I asked Seagate (they have some sort of online chat support),

> and as I am using it in Linux, all I got to the question > 'has it better life expectancy when spinning it up and down, or leaving it > on?' > was: 'We do not support Linux'. > So I thanked them for their great help, and wonderful disks, but I still > would like to know.

Silly. You can park the drives in Windows though, so your question is still valid. Rephrase!

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

I think the point is that anyone who responds to "What has better life expectancy?" with "We don't support Linux" couldn't be counted on to provide anything more than a wild guess as to the original question.

And I've made the point before that culture today, at least in the U.S., seems to be that saying "I don't know" is somehow considered much worse than just making a completely uninformed, wild guess with the pretense of knowledge and hoping you're not found out. :-( Perhaps this is a result of school systems that emphasize "there aren't really any wrong answers" a bit too much...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Oh absolutely. It's bad to be wrong, you must never be wrong! Is it any wonder kids have no creativity? Schools actively stifle it.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:27:33 -0700) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

Exactly, that is why I did not ask the person further :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Once it has been set, those drives time out all on their own, regardless of the OS.

Pain in the ass on a PS3, which does not implement the "features", so it pukes... all over the drive.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

With windows, I'm sure that the life will be shorter. :)

Could it be that these disks come with a funny driver?

Reply to
MooseFET