Re: Strange nfilter/NewsProxy Behavior

>>Jim Thomps>>> nfilter/NewsProxy will crash every time while trying to retrieve the >>> body of this message... >>> >>> Subject: Converting Excel 2007 Nested "If" Statement to Excel 2003: >>> Overcom >>> >>> Is there something there that nfilter/NewsProxy "sees" as code?? >>> >>> Weird. >>> >> >>Maybe this nfilter method is just too complicated ... ? >> >>I simply use the filters in Thunderbird. Ok, that axes all google >>groupers, can't help it. But it reduces spam to about one a day. I can >>live with that. > >Turned out the message was all one extremely long line of Excel code, >choking nfilter. > >I white-list a number of "good-guy" googlegroup posters. > >But eliminate some leftist/Euro-weenie pains-in-the-ass ;-) > >I see NO spam. > > ...Jim Thompson

Just to make sure, i will repeat: nfilter/NewsProxy does not read message bodies, only headers. I have read the code. (the code is very clean and rather pretty by the way. It would make a great piece of example code for students, small, useful, and no silly nonsense.)

Reply to
JosephKK

So why does nfilter consistently barf on this message?

I know nfilter doesn't look in the body, but the "References" header allows me to kill follow-ups.

Where can I view a copy of the source code? Maybe I can bribe my son to add some features ;-)

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

JeffM

It may be that nfilter has a limit on the length of line it can handle, that is, a buffer overflow is occurring.

Even if nfilter only "looks" at the headers, it still has to read in and pass along the whole message to the downstream news client.

Reply to
Greg Neill

That may well be the issue. When I tracked the message down via googlegroups that mess _was_ in a single line.

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

It can be found here:

JosephKK

  1. No it doesn't, at least not in the sense you are using. Read the RFCs
  2. Having worked through the code it does not have that particular vulnerability.

See:

JosephKK

My WinZip doesn't like that file.

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

=20

The source code "zip" file doesn't look like a zip=20 file to winzip or WinRAR.

I would have thought that, since my news client is talking to nfilter for all its transactions on the designated port, that nfilter would have to stand between all communications with the client and the news server, even if only to buffer the transactions.

Reply to
Greg Neill

Maybe i can get around to repacking it.

Reply to