Re: Smith Chart Amusements

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Ok, that's a different group. In the end it's a matter of ethics. I don't use "borrowed" software. My take is that when a company wants to charge excruciatingly high prices for their SW and I don't need all that or just don't see the value then I will find something else. Either an older (but legit) version or something simpler. We all got spoiled by Windows GUIs but there is quite a lot of command line software that has not rotted away. It's just as good as it was 15-20 years ago. Heck, if it wasn't for printer problems I would still be using OrCad SDT. IMHO it was a heck of a lot better than today's versions. Never crashed, not once.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, same here (although I'm quite certain in general your ethics are stronger than mine :-) ) I also can't claim I've never used pirated software nor "bent" the license agreements a bit (i.e., installing software on more than one machine but never using more than one copy at a time... with some software license agreements that's technically not allowed...)

...in marked constrast to today's OrCAD!

I'm curious whatever happened to the original OrCAD programmers...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

That won't count I think if you are the only one who can use it. I do have some stuff on a central server so I can use it in the lab when I need to measure stuff. My wife doesn't have the foggiest about EE software and the two dogs aren't interested in it either because it isn't edible.

IIRC one of the leading guys hung out on the DOS-OrCad Yahoo group for a while but I could be wrong. IMHO this was an aquisition that has not been beneficial for the product line.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

makes

seems

is

as

for

You need a raise! Our labor rate was $225K/year in '00. I was recently accused of invoicing my CPOE $130K for two weeks. I work a lot of hours, but not *that* many. ;-)

--
Keith
Reply to

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Valley

Was that so old as 1.2 or 1.3? I still have my original 1.2 install media. An associate once formatted one of my 1.3 install media diskettes looking for a floppy to save something. That really put a strain in the relationship.

Reply to
JosephKK

Valley

Mine is 3.22a. Before that I was using FutureNet Dash II and Dash IV. Which also worked very nicely.