Re: radar

It absolutely would. But I thought you guys were talking about sensing from a distance.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The thread drifted to finding studs, and looking for the nails is one way to do that. I'd prefer the radar, to see everything.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Some time back, a friend used a grid dip meter to find the nails (studs and whatever). IIRC, the coils were about that size.

Reply to
krw

Your idea is great though. One could take a 2x2 and place three coils at the bottom, three in the center, and three at the top of a say four foot stick.

Aligned vertically, it would keep you from getting a false reading from a drywall nail not on the stud line.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Use an induction heater, and look for brown spots in the paint. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

il's

They

the

at

The easy ways is a neodymium magnet, but where's the fun in that :)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Once I intended to hang heavy shelves and I didn't want the screws to be on the edge of each stud. I wanted the strength of having them in the center. So I crawled into the attic where the studs were visible and took exact measurements.

It would be nice if those devices indicated the left and right boundaries.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The capacitive sensors theoretically do that. They detect capacitance thru the wall on either side of the stud. Balanced = center.

Haven't actually tested one, but it seems sound. They were very cheap, $10-$20 range IIRC.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Once you find one, the rest should be easy if the guy who framed the house did so correctly.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Lotsa luck with that one.

Reply to
krw

You are, of course, correct.

The days of 20 men taking two months to frame a house out with all rough cut full dimension lumber are gone.

Today, we'd be lucky if the chief contractor on the site had decent carpentry education and skill.

--
Some do:

http://www.zircon.com/products/products.html

I have an old one, a "Studsensor 4", and it works great.
Reply to
John Fields