Re: radar

If there is a thermal gradient across the beam a metal stud should show up in FLIR anyway since the thermal path is shorted in part.

They usually throw a few flash bangs in first.

They could just wait for light snow and then do the same thing based on the handful of roofs where the snow is obviously absent.

FLIR based intelligence seems a perfectly reasonable method of law enforcement to me. They are passively looking at external emissions.

If the cannabis growers wish to remain undetected they need to spend a bit more on insulating their grow rooms better and quit whining. Since most of them are thieving mains electricity as well it helps keep utility bills lower when they get closed down.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

snip

Sure there is. The McCavity in your descending colon proves that immutable fact.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If said emission is emanating from a privately own structure, it is absolutely a constitutional violation to implement ANY such "observation" without a warrant.

In your world, a snoop dog walking the doors of a storage facility, looking for dope or bombs or other "contraband" would be an OK thing as well.

To me... that only happens after hell breaks loose, and Marshall Law gets implemented.

To me, that Should take place, but the targets to be invaded are the PIGs' possessions, and the Politiicans' possesions, and the lawyers' possesions, and the goddamned insurance company holdings that got this nation and this world into this f***ed up economy mess we are in and so many of you whom have it good seem to be oblivious about.

Hypocricy to the max. It is worse than the goddamned Twilight Zone scenarios.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It does explain all your "theatrics" here. No one cares.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You said speak on electronics. I did that, then you trolled the group again by calling it a lie.

About that stupidity you spew into the group... some care.

About your death... no one would care.

Life is theater, punk, and you are goddamned lucky that you are not local, because your time on the stage is already well overdue for the man with the long hooked end cane to come drag you off by your pathetic neck.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

walls/22007615/

I lost the article a long time ago, but passive thermal imagers that work at millimeter wavelengths have been designed and built (the article had images). Common building materials are transparent at the wavelength used; metal and people aren't.

I suspect that they're way expensive, though, mostly because I haven't seen any on the street.

The resolution was good enough that you could easily identify the model of truck parked inside of a locked garage, but not quite good enough to read the license plate. I'm sure that the antenna array has to be large, to get decent resolution.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I remember it from Circuit Cellar 20 years ago. There was a picture of the board, with two 16-pin DIPs and a few other parts. Part numbers were removed.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Maybe heat the nails with an induction element from a stove.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

That is what the courts have ruled, but if you have an arrest warrant, I would think you would be able to look in the home to find the guy. Doesn't the arrest warrant permit the cops to enter the home to search for him? How is this technology different? I think using it to know how many and where the residents are is not just useful but can save lives.

--

Rick
Reply to

I think you just got busted for copyright infringement by Arnold... "I'll be back".

--

Rick
Reply to

They lost a patent battle with Canadian company Time Domain Systems, and only had limited market opportunities for what was left.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Schematics are in McEwan's patents, along with part numbers and even preferred chip manufacturers in the text. Why don't you build one and report back?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That McEwan guy sounds interesting. He has dozens of patents, sort of all over the place.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Easier to build a tiny metal detector. That would find nails, wires, pipes, metal studs, whatever. Put the coil on the PC board.

Now that might be a Home Depot product.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yes but it's hard to have resolution for the small cross section of a nail and cover a large area at the same time. It would indicate that there's a nail within a couple of square feet.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Two coils, big and small. Big one broadside on the box, little one at right angles. Something like that.

How about 5 coils, use all 5 or just the one in the middle. If I were doing my own, I might use drum cores.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It just occurred to me that you could burn down a house that way if you left the heating element in one place too long. That would be great for arsonists who don't want to leave any trace of accelerant.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Except that "tiny" and "metal detector" do not work very well.

A detected conductor must fall "within the ring" of the detection coil's "field".

Those big military square pad types had four rings (coils) in them. They were about as small in diameter as one would want to go. Hugely diminishing returns below that. IOW, you would have to be up against the wall to make it work. No 'from a distance' distance sensing capacity at all.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I tuned up a vietnam-era mine detector for some guys at school about

40 years ago. it was insanely sensitive when the coils were properly nulled. I hung the sensing coil from strings in the basement to get it away from all metallic influences. It was good enough to detect a sewing needle at over one foot with a strong tone in the earphones. (Which I guess it MUST do to properly detect a modern land mine.)

jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I could imagine a small coil, maybe a ferrite drum core, about 3/4 inch diameter, might be good to find nail heads in sheetrock.