Re: OT: Why would bats swarm in the morning?

> >That's what bats look like when coming out of their caves. Like smoke >rings. I discovered that when using "WeatherScope" many years ago, >emailed the developers and they explained the phenomenon. I have >occasionally noticed the bats for the last 10-15 years using the radar >software. Software still works, but they are no longer developing it. > >This is weird. Yesterday morning I noticed the bats near Houston. A huge >swarm came out after 8 in the morning. I'm no expert, but I've never >seen them swarm in the morning, only in early evening. > >
>(still pictures, not a video) > >The ring is usually not that well defined. Seems they avoided Houston, >but otherwise it's a relatively nice circle.

The ring is an artifact of how ground-based radars work. The radar is at the center of the circle. The bats are at sufficient altitude to be above the radar horizon at the radar site, These plots to not show that bats avoid Houston.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I did not say that they are not bats, only that seeing a ring tells one more about how radars work than how animals behave.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Were your ancestors living in caves?