Re: OT: Post Turtle

>People have to understand things before they can presume to educate >others.

Australian researchers found that sea-life won't be able to form calcium carbonate shells if CO2 goes above 450 ppm.

Some day you'll be coming home from the fish market with their last oysters, and get mugged by an impoverished ex-venture capitalist driven psychotic with impotence.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

450ppm in the _water_?

Do you have a link to this citation?

...Jim Thompson

|        America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave         |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

Pity Jim won't see it, but this seems to be the story

referring to an article published in Science, probably this one

or&searchid=3D1&FIRSTINDEX=3D0&sortspec=3Drelevance&fdate=3D11/1/2007&tdate= =3D6/30/2008&resourcetype=3DHWCIT,HWELTR

Science 14 December 2007: Vol. 318. no. 5857, pp. 1737 - 1742 DOI: 10.1126/science.1152509

There is a more recent letter, where Professor Ove Hoegh-Guldberg is one of the authors

Coral Adaptation in the Face of Climate Change Baird et al. Science 18 April 2008: 315-316 DOI: 10.1126/science.320.5874.315

but you have to be a subscriber to get access to it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

No, the air. We're too damn close. Oceanographers are really gloomy about CO2 and climate change, compared to the atmosphere guys. Acidification, ocean deserts due to circulation failure, etc.

See below. Many thanks, Bill. I heard about it on ABC National's "The Science Show" a few months back, but had not gone back to get a URL, yet.