Re: OT: Amazon is down

Wierd. Wonder for how long. Maybe the fires?

Idle curiosity: Is that a misspelling of 'weird' or 'wired'?

Reply to
Wond

In the Netherlands we have a journalist named Wierd Duk. He worked as a foreign correspondent for some time. I wonder how that was.

Reply to
Rob

So wie-rd or wi-erd depending on the reader's preference?

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Yesterday he managed to spell it: OT: Gigabyte motherboard drivers, WEIRD

He also needed to bawl about Amazon there: OT: Amazon not responding

Corvid

why are you using my post as sig, and what's with the stupid cross-posting?

it doesn't work "dickhEAd"

if you mangle context you get no useful answer.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

I'm a little saddened by the way the UK media is increasingly preferring what I think of as the northern pronunciation of "either" as eether rather than my accustomed eyether...

Reply to
Mike Coon

On 2020-09-15, John Doe wrote in response:

Noone is surprised.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

fiery

Real sharp, now you're telling yourself.

No, dopey, your fake word could as well be pronounced wired. Because the "ie" in lots of words has the same pronunciation as in fiery.

Just remember how to spell it and you won't have to make up silly arguments about pronunciation rules for your misspelled words.

Reply to
Corvid

John Doe, weasel:

I'm sure you don't know what concise means. Will you explain how English is concise?

Reply to
Corvid

I have not so described English. But if you consider a language with severely limited vocabulary, you potentially have to use more basic words so convey a subtle concept. E.g. compare with Pidgin English.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Your example failed. There was no rule there to follow anyway.

Ambiguous, already.

That wasn't very concise either. Are you going to explain how English is a concise language?

Reply to
Corvid

John Doe weasel:

I guess you're jacking off now.

Reply to
Corvid

Ha-ha-ha!

The weasel has.

What I found regarding Pidgin English says it's used typically in commerce at Chinese shipping ports. I still don't know what it is. I enjoy reading Chinglish quick-start guides.

American Sign Language may be concise, if any language is.

Reply to
Corvid