Embedded Systems Conference priced out of reach?

I just got my flyer for the April San Jose ESC. Inside the front cover I found the following "best value" prices for all access passes:

before Feb 6 $1795 (the brocure arrived on the 10th) Mar 5 1995 Mar 29 2195 on site 2295

Or you could just attend the free exhibits and a single

90-minute class at $195 No downloadable class notes or proceedings CD, though ;-(

It seems to me that the sponsors of this conference have priced themselves out of reach of small companies. About

15 years ago, I actually talked my employer into sending me to an ESC---and paying the $395 for the full set of classes. I don't think a request for $3000 (travel plus conference) would fly today. As a self-employed consultant, there's no way I can justify anything more than attending just the free exhibits.

Don't these conference organizers realize that they are competing with a wealth of free or low-cost technical resources on the internet? Heck, for less than the cost of two classes, I can purchase freely redistributable source code for an RTOS, SD disk driver, USB stack, etc, etc.

If I were working in marketing for Atmel, MicroChip, IAR, etc. I'd have my boothies do a little pre-qualifying and hand out passes for the kind of free seminars they hold where you get a morning with some FAEs, lectures, and a free dev kit. For something like that, plus the free ESC exhibits pass, I'd consider the $500 cost of travel from Oregon to San Jose. I suspect that the conference organizers strongly discourage such competing attractions.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

For the customers Atmel, Microchip, et al actually care about (i.e. the people whose minimum annual usage is 100K units of whatever), the marketing budget is spent on actually going and visiting those customers, handing out free eval kits, etc.

At the company where I work, more or less every other week a semi mfr comes in, buys lunch for everyone in engineering who wants to attend, and presents a spiel and roadmap (and sometimes eval boards/demo kits).

Reply to
larwe

The conference organizers are in it for the $$, and they will be insular. If the charges double, and 40% fewer arrive, they shrug.

The ones who should be most concerned, are the exhibitors. If the number, and quality, of attendees continues to decline, they will decide not to bother. The satellite seminars you mention, are already growing in popularity.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I think semiconductors calculate cost of sales should be around 4%. If you think that you have a project which generate enough business so that the revenue of your project will be 25 x the cost of supporting you with a dedicated visit, you should request it. In that calulation you need to take into account that work spent on you may be useful to other customers as well.

Not unfrequently, have I argued that my company needs to do a specific thing for a small company, because that means that we will be ready with that when the larger customers start to need it. Not unfrequently have they listened.

If you want to buy 50 chips, then you would probably get a no on a visit, but at least Atmel runs seminars at a regular basis where you for a nominal fee will get the full day + a kit.

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson

Something to consider when you decline to go is that you're not paying $3000. You're really paying $3000 pre-tax for conference and travel, plus the $3000 to $6000 in lost revenue, depending on what you charge. So the question isn't do you want to pay $3000 vs. $1000, it's do you want to pay $4000 to $7000 vs $6000 to $9000. Looking at it that way, it's not as big a difference. Even if I weren't presenting and getting into the talks for free, I think I'd have to go at least every other year to keep my training current.

I don't know how much they charged last year, but there were certainly a lot of full rooms when the seminars were being given. If they can continue to fill the rooms, even with their expanded program, I don't see much motivation for them to cut the price.

If they do drive away enough business, however, they'll lose their teaching staff. They certainly don't pay enough to make the trip worthwhile on a purely monetary basis. The value for me (and a lot of other folks doing it) are to fill the room with potential customers for services or training, and to gain credibility as a world-class expert. Were they to pay me the same but not fill the room consistently I don't think I'd keep going.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Then there are us consultants who never buy more than a dozen chips but where a design-win often means massive revenue. Some companies realize that, others don't. The topper was a company that told me point blank that they do not send samples to consultants. "But I'd gladly pay for them". "No, we don't send samples to consultants". It was a part that couldn't be purchased via Digikey. It did not get designed in...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Just wondering how did you get those numbers. That looks like too small to be a cost of the lost opportunity. Networking at the ESC is rather dubious, since those who attend it are mostly the juniors just from school.

There are much better, less time consuming and less expensive ways to keep oneself on current. The conference is mainly the place to have fun (if it is billed to the account of employer), however paying your own money is a different story.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Yeah, but the food at Teske's Germania in San Jose is so good. It's a nice stroll across St.James Park. Now don't do that if you have to undergo any cholesterol testing in the weeks after the ESC.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The things we get can be ridiculous

"Get small qauantities from DigiKey/RS/Farnell" (parts are too new for any of them to carry or will never be carried by them)

"Only in MOQ of full tray/box of hundreds" (distibutor is actually just a freight forwarder)

"Samples only sent to same company that must be taking the volume quantities" ('distributor' that would only send mains connector samples to same company GUARANTEEING minimum annual usage of 1000 parts)

Distributors/manufacturers that have web sites with NO leadtime or pricing summary, let alone full details.

Samples questionaires that require multiple corporate signoffs and a day to fill in.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

We exhibitted at ESC for years and stopped when the industry was no longer being represented. Intel dropped out, Motorola / Freescale dropped out after being a major promotter of ESC. Finally the major technical people from most companies stopped attending.

From an exhibitor point of view ESC was a place to set up deals with customers and partners. That no longer happens. The last ESC I was at was poorly attended with limited embedded industry coverage.

Most of the shows we attend/exhibit now are application specific.

Walter Banks Byte Craft Limited

Reply to
Walter Banks

Get up early, disgustfull security check, procrustean seat, between the giggling monkey and the snoring pig, delayed flight, airport junk food, lost luggage, staying in a line here, staying in a line there, hangover all the way, looking for a woman, oh hi I have never met any russians before, what brought you to US, stupid feeling after locking your key in the hotel room, don't forget to retun the rental car with full tank, here are the charges for the things you didn't order...

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Perhaps it's just coincidence...At the last ESC for which I paid the full fees (about 10 to 15 years ago) I got a free computer carrying bag from Motorola. I went to exhibits only a few years later and there were no goodies from Motorola and I don't remember seeing a booth either. IIRC the only big booths left were the RTOS people and Metrowerks. I did score a Codewarrior T-Shirt, though. ;-)

I don't see much press coverage other than in Embedded Systems magazine. Certainly nothing like the coverage for CES or Macworld.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

:-)))

Well, I have a slight advantage here. I can drive to San Jose if I wanted to. Ok, it'll take anywhere between two and five hours. But I could, if I wanted to. Not that I want to. But I could...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Looks like it. Years ago I lined up a deal with QNX there. Now they aren't even on the exhibitor list anymore AFAICT:

TI has a 3rd party pavillon there, whatever that means. Anyhow, after viewing the exhibitor list I think I am not going to attend.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

If you change your mind look me up. I'll buy you a beer.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

A beer would really hit the spot. Maybe Teske's has Hefeweizen on tap. I'll buy the next one then ;-)

But seriously, around $2K for full access is a bit steep. IMHO this has gotten a bit out of hand.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Just try to rent a booth....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

One company that is very good on samples and tech support in general is analog devices. No quibble, order online, no hassle and the samples are there in a few days at most. AD have had several design in's here because the product and business attitude and the quality is always first class as well. The amount of goodwill generated is considerable and more manufacturers need to wake up to the idea.

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQuayle

... snip ...

If Vladimir can influence Putin, Alaska, and Bush & gang to fund a bridge over the Bering strait, he too can drive to it. Maybe (I understand the Siberian highway system is not the best, also the Alaskan). :-)

                           -- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
                                             -- Thomas Matthews
Reply to
CBFalconer

Small quantities/small orders internationally via Digikey is an absolute PAIN.

They want all sorts of export regs questions and cannot define enduser, when one project I am working on the ultimate 'enduser' is the US DoD, but that is not good enough for them.

Some small quantities is good from the websites then you find that production quantities are a pain (Maxim, AD.....).

You wonder at times how anybody but the existing large companies gets from prototype to production quantities.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter