Re: Nasty way to lose your furniture

Just over a year ago I was on the 34th floor of the JP Morgan Chase

> Tower in Houston, as expert witness on a patent matter. > > Have you seen news shots of that building after Hurricane Ike? > > Nasty way to lose very expensive furniture ;-)

I have some photos of Hurricanes Hugo & Andrew that make the Chase Tower look like the Taj Mahal. :) Even some Wilma photos from Ft. Lauderdale.

I wonder why someone doesn't engineer a temporary solution to retrofit (protect) these high-rise windows from blowing out.? I mean, even if you foamed them in place, it would still be less expensive cleanup?

Oh, one more horror story: The Bank of America tower in downtown Miami (at the time called Centrust Bank)... they had a major pipe break on the top floor that fed their fire suppression system (tanks). Whatever security did made the problem a lot worse. It ended up literally drowning every floor of the building. Very, very expensive and time-consuming cleanup.

Like, on the order of years.! I would not want to be a Houston / Galvaston resident about now. Be sure to make a donation to the Red Cross when you get to the office tomorrow. As stupid as some were for not heeding the evac orders, they still need our help.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

And at what point to you endanger the structural integrity of the frame? Most building owners and tenants would rather lose windows and furniture than the whole building ...

Reply to
Kevin G. Rhoads

And who pays the bill for their stupidity?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

mpm wrote in news:b4161056-6dd8-446d-a43a-140014c860f8 @w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

There are "structural films" that can be applied to glass (commercial or residential) which strengthen the glas sand, in the event of breakage, old ti together to significantly reduce shattering. IIRC there are also additional restraint ssytems, which may include special gaskets/seals that are flexible (to accomidate shrinkage/expansion) and keep wind from working its way in- between the glass panes.

You might ask in one of the Architecture groups; archtects and architectural designers, esp. those who work in hurricane-prone areas, would be able to answer your question re: various products/systems.

As to why they aren't used? Well, people play the odds. If a major storm hits once every 20-25 years, people figure that they save more by using standard systems, then they'll lose in a major storm. OTOH, if major storms are becoming more frequent, that will change.

Some waited too long, and some, I suppose, didn't believe the storm would be as bad as it was. They're lucky it was not as bad as it could have been - several factor combined to make it less severe than it very easily could have been.

Tangential to your post, I just have to say that, long before FEMA started "suggesting" that the Houston area power companies call upon out-of-state workers, the Houston companies had already been on the ball, making arrangements for extra personnel to come in. Meanwhile, for all of its "suggesting", FEMA did *nothing* to help make sure that our First Responders had water and food. OTOH, one local Representative actually *acted* by not waiting around for FEMA and the State gov.t to get their act together, and instead calling upon people who were in a stable situation to donate food and water. We had surplusses (I always keep things well-stocked anyway, but had socked away even more as it became certain that Ike would hit Houston), so we brought them lots of non-perishable pop-top and packet foods, drinks, water, toilet paper, and so on - and best of all, *MANY* of our fellow Houston-area residents also generously heeded the call, responded to the need. It was great to see all the people patiently lining up to drop off box after box of supplies for our First Responders. FEMA didn't even *start* bringing trucks of supplies in until last night - meanwhile, our local HEB and Kroger groceries somehow managed to bring in truckload after truckload of deliveries, trying to keep gettign supplies into stores with generators.

I know that there are some Scroodges in unaffected areas who will sit in comfort and kvetch that "people shouldn't live in coastal areas", yet hypocritically enjoy the benefits of Houston's port, the Houston area refineries, and the Gulf drilling platforms - and all the people livng here who man the ports, refiners, and platforms, and all of the service people who sell them groceries, the physicians who take care of them and their families

- and on and on and on. THe focus usually goes to emgamillion vacation homes, but the backbone of this city, like that of the nation, is its everyday workers and their families. It doesn't make the news much, but I've been seeing a lot of volunteerism, and neighbor helping neighbor, and donations. FEMA or no FEMA, our local Coast Guard, First Responders, and Mayor Bill White have also been going IMO a great job.

For every person who seems to be a doofus, and for every "mere vacationer who just lost a boat", there are a great many people who are everyday people, people who have been working the port and its docks, the refineries and drilling rigs, that benefit a great amny Americans living far from here. And any and all donations will, as you noted, be a great help :)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Well, those "can" be two separate things. But you and I both know you'll never get money out of someone who just lost everything they owned. And if you tried, you'd spend more than you ever hoped to collect!!

Which sucks, because I do agree with you: Those who stayed after the evacuation order - without really good reason - should pay at least a portion of the cost of their rescue.

But even those who evacuated still need help, and that's why we all need to send a check to the American Red Cross (or your favorite charity). I heard on the news times are so bad, they're actually working on borrowed money.

Surely we're a better country than that?

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

If the government wasn't stealing the lion's share of everybody's paycheck, people could _afford_ to give generously charity. Getting the government into the loop just screws things up for everybody.