Re: Looking for Microcontroller Recommendations

>Hmm.. the Wikipedia article says that the assembler will re-order the >instructions for you to handle the delay slots. Anyone know if this is >true for MIPS? Not usually the sort of thing you would expect or want >an assembler to be doing.

Yes, it is true. I used the code reorganizer as part of the assembler chain back in the late 1980's when working on the R2000 chipset. It's not very hard to do, manually. You just look upwards in your code and find an instruction to move into the delay slot. The reorganizer would obviously leave it, then. But the Pretty basic and pretty simple.

J. W. Davidson wrote a paper about the whole idea called, "A Retargetable Instruction Reorganizer." It was in the proceedings of ACM, in the 1986 SIGPLAN Symposium stuff.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan