Re: Handling current through a 74HC595

Hello,

> apologies if this question is very stupid. :) > I have been toying with electronics for a little while, but I know I > lack some basic knowledge to wrap everything up together so... here is > my doubt. > > I am designing some Christmas decoration with a bunch of LEDs driven by > an array of 74HC595s (controlled by an ATtiny45). The whole thing will be > > I did something similar in the past, using three 595s to control three > 7-segment LED displays, but I did it fairly randomly: I just connected > each output to each segment, with a resistor between the two. > Since this thing I'm planning to do is going to be simple yet much > bigger -- involving twelve 595s -- I'd like to do things properly. > The 96 LEDs could and probably will be all on at some point, so > considering a current draw of 15 mA for each LED, the whole thing would > draw a total of about 15 A, which is pretty much impossible to handle. > Correct? I will probably have to investigate charlieplexing to such a > big scale, or maybe make it so the 595s are working one by one at a fast > rate (by pushing a series of logic zeros down the data line). >
96*15mA is "only" ~1.5A, and lots of modern leds will be plenty bright with much less than 15mA try it.
In any case, let's assume for the sake of the example that I want to be > able to drive eight LEDs with a single 595. The datasheet tells me that > the maximum current load on each output pin is 35 mA, and the current > load on the supply pins (Vcc and ground) is 70 mA. I am not sure how to > interpret this: does it mean that the sum of the output currents can't > be more than 70 mA?

yep

If that is the case, I suppose that I could use transistors. Would > connecting each output to the base of an NPN and the LED (with a series > resistor) between Vcc and the emitter work?

resistor from output through a resistor to base, emitter to ground, led and resistor from Vcc tc to collector

> Also, I'd like to finally understand whether it's better to source > current from a pin or sink current into a pin. I would think that > sourcing is "cleaner" because one doesn't "overdo" the chip -- if the > current is not enough, it simply doesn't work -- but I'm not sure about > that at all, because on many schematics I have seen LEDs sinking into > MCUs' ports.

TTL was much better at sinking than sourcing, guess that just stuck

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt