Re: Hand held RADAR system

> A high resolution, handheld, RADAR system can be made > using modern electronics and information technology,
[snip]

Do you think traffic cops will give up their lidars for this incredible intellectual triumph of will?

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

I was disappointed to see that Uncle Al did not comprehend that the system I proposed is a completely different from the Doppler RADAR used to measure speed.

The system I propose would present a Goggle-like map centered about the user, and show moving targets on the map.

It would replace GPS for many applications, and would have the advantage that it would show moving targets. This would be more useful for boaters and pilots for example. (And coaches might find it useful to view and record the paths taken by their players on various pass patterns.)

I don't think that a Lidar could do this.

--
Tom Potter

*** Time Magazine Person of the Year 2006 ***
*** May 2007 Anti-Bigot Award ***
http://home.earthlink.net/~tdp
http://tdp1001.googlepages.com/home
http://no-turtles.com
http://www.frappr.com/tompotter
http://spaces.msn.com/tdp1001
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom-potter
http://tom-potter.blogspot.com
Reply to
Tom Potter

"Tom Potter" wrote in news:46cc5dd5$0$8173$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

the common digital video camera already does that,with a LOT better resolution,and color display.Coaches use them during football games.

Ya think ground clutter might be a problem?

Boats already have radar systems,although not handheld. No trees,buildings,or trucks out on the water.No metal signs,either.

Now,for your envisioned system,does the operator have to rotate 360deg for a complete scan,or does the handheld radar do that itself?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik