Re: Electric Cars Not Yet Viable

Aha! Now I can see where you're going wrong.

Cursitor Doom

That was a genuine technological breakthrough, though. When we can say the same about some new kind of battery, maybe your EVs will have a viable future.

Cursitor Doom

You love your labels and buzzwords. I bought an electric car because it is a great car. It's the fastest car I'll ever own and faster than 99% of th e cars on the road. It has a lot of great features... and I get the fuel f ree for the rest of my life. :)

Seems like virtue-signalling is your thing as no one else here talks about it.

That is simply not a supportable statement in any real way. Obviously the battery technology *is* here as Tesla has sold a lot of cars so there are o ver half a million people who disagree with you. By the end of the year it will be closer to 1 million people who disagree with you.

On the way home I was approached by a couple asking about charging. I have learned that when they ask how long it takes to charge I tell them, "charg e overnight at home and your car will always be topped off without taking i t to a service station". That's not what they were thinking so it makes th em think a little harder. This couple was on top of it and they got it whe n I explained how a 120 volt outlet is not really enough unless your use is very light. They understood it is no big deal to install a 240 volt outle t. They understood that they only need to visit the Superchargers when on trips and even then they can combine charging with meal stops.

Unfortunately not many here understand this.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news:838bd0e2-a366-4116-9dc7- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Look up 7 lines from that stupid post to find your previous stupid post. It had nothing to do with EV cars.

You were spouting utter horseshit, and you do that a lot, dumbfuck.

The EV car post IS on topic. YOU are not.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

he

e-

is a great car. It's the fastest car I'll ever own and faster than 99% of the cars on the road. It has a lot of great features... and I get the fuel free for the rest of my life. :)

t it.

e battery technology *is* here as Tesla has sold a lot of cars so there are over half a million people who disagree with you. By the end of the year it will be closer to 1 million people who disagree with you.

Did you give them your referal code to Tesla, so you can make a buck?

Reply to
trader4

An interesting question how these automated systems (from any manufacturer) perform when snow is falling, especially if the size of a snowflake is several millimeters :-)

Reply to
upsidedown

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 7:23:02 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrot e:

All of these systems are BETA. They are not indicated to perform correctly at all times. That is why you must keep your hands on the wheel at all ti mes and be prepared to take over from the auto pilot. But of course no one really wants to give that consideration. It's much more fun to point out the parts an autonomous system will have a hard time with.

Autonomous systems may be decades before they will operate in all condition s and all roads. That doesn't mean they don't have utility.

--

  Rick C.

  ----+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ----+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On Thursday, 27 June 2019 04:23:02 UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote: ...

I haven't seen it in snow (not common the SF Bay Area!) but I have seen a warning under heavy rain that the system should not be used and it will reduce speed.

kw

Reply to
keith wright

warning under heavy rain that the system should not be used and it will re duce speed.

Yeah, I had that once in snow. It was a sudden snow squall as I drove over a mountain. It blew up suddenly, the autopilot was still managing, then i t quit and would not engage even after I got out of the snow. It gave a wa rning about the radar malfunctioning. I called the 800 number and they tol d me to check the two front camera in the bumper. They are in recesses and had a snow block in front of them. I removed it and wiped them clean and it worked again.

--

  Rick C.

  --+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Factory response: OOOOOPPPPPSSSSS!!!!

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

You have already been told many times that getting higher currents from a domestic UK installation is a piece of cake. It's a trivial matter indeed to install a 32A breaker to the house's distribution board and run a higher current cable from it for your charging purposes. If 32A isn't enough, you can go up to 60A to 100A depending on the age of the house and there is NO need whatsoever for a 3 phase supply for what you propose to do.

Cursitor Doom

On Friday, 28 June 2019 12:37:23 UTC-7, Cursitor Doom wrote: ...

Three-phase may be required to charge an EV at the highest rate using AC for a UK/European delivered car.

US EVs have a different connector and do not support 3-phase.

The J1772 standard has multiple types - the US version is single phase only. The European version supports 3-phase and single phase but with a higher capability when operating on single phase.

The Tesla model S for example supports 7.4kW with single phase but 16.5kW using 3-phase.

kw

Reply to
keith wright

ed

se

for a UK/European delivered car.

ly. The European version supports 3-phase and single phase but with a highe r capability when operating on single phase.

using 3-phase.

Not trying to be pedantic... well, ok, I guess I am by definition. Previou sly Teslas were shipped with chargers capable of up to 72 amps. My car has that. But since November the S and X only had 48 amp capability. The mod el 3 has always been 48 amps, so 11.5 kW maximum. But I am assuming this i s the same in Europe. While the power connector may be different, I'm thin king they only make one charging board, but certainly I don't know for sure .

In the UK can you pull the full rated current from an outlet? In the US ou tlets are rated for a current, but for "continuous" use, which car charging is, they are derated to 80%. So a 60 amp connection is required to get 48 amps to the mobile cable. We don't have a connector for that so you need a wall unit from Tesla.

It gets worse... We have a 50 amp outlet which will pass 40 amps all day. But we don't have a 40 amp outlet so it is approved to use the same NEMA 1

4-50 connector. The original cable would run at 40 amps on this connector. To err on the side of caution the current cable only draws 32 amps as if it were a 40 amp connection. lol

To get higher currents than 32 amps in the US you need a Tesla wall connect or. Not really needed though since 32 amps is 7.7 kW which is around 35 mp h.

--

  Rick C.

  -++-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On Friday, 28 June 2019 13:20:18 UTC-7, Rick C wrote: ...

kW using 3-phase.

ously Teslas were shipped with chargers capable of up to 72 amps. My car h as that. But since November the S and X only had 48 amp capability. The m odel 3 has always been 48 amps, so 11.5 kW maximum. But I am assuming this is the same in Europe. While the power connector may be different, I'm th inking they only make one charging board, but certainly I don't know for su re.

This was my source

s-standard). Tesla wouldn't let me access the UK site.

I'm not sure what Tesla does now but in the past they did change the charge r for the Model S between the US and Euro versions. It essentially had 3 ch argers in the module that only has one in the US version (maybe each with l ower power).

The Mennekes connector used in European J1772 has more pins to support the

3-phase.

outlets are rated for a current, but for "continuous" use, which car chargi ng is, they are derated to 80%. So a 60 amp connection is required to get

48 amps to the mobile cable. We don't have a connector for that so you nee d a wall unit from Tesla.

The BMW i3 and Nissan Leaf are configured for 10A when plugged into a stand ard UK 13A socket. I ...

kw

Reply to
keith wright

.5kW using 3-phase.

viously Teslas were shipped with chargers capable of up to 72 amps. My car has that. But since November the S and X only had 48 amp capability. The model 3 has always been 48 amps, so 11.5 kW maximum. But I am assuming th is is the same in Europe. While the power connector may be different, I'm thinking they only make one charging board, but certainly I don't know for sure.

l-s-standard). Tesla wouldn't let me access the UK site.

ger for the Model S between the US and Euro versions. It essentially had 3 chargers in the module that only has one in the US version (maybe each with lower power).

e 3-phase.

Ok, here is what I think is going on. In the Tesla forums people talk abou t the in-car charger boards handling 24 amps each. My car has three for 72 amps, others have two for 48 amps. I think they use three in the EU which lets then use three phase power, so you can get the max of 22 kW which new cars in the US can't do. I'm told this is how the Superchargers work, uni ts of 12 kW which add up to 144 kW configured to supply power to two cars a t once. I was told they have to switch three units together since they are on three phase, but I can't always tell who is a knowledgeable source and who is not. So the minimum to one car is 36 kW while the other car can hav e the remaining 108 kW. As the higher current car ramps down units can be switched to the lower current car. I can't recall ever being the lower cur rent car so I can't confirm this.

S outlets are rated for a current, but for "continuous" use, which car char ging is, they are derated to 80%. So a 60 amp connection is required to ge t 48 amps to the mobile cable. We don't have a connector for that so you n eed a wall unit from Tesla.

ndard UK 13A socket. I

Ok, yeah, I guess they also derate to 80%. We have 20 amp, 120 volt outlet s here which many in public spaces are. So in theory the US 120 outlets co uld charge as fast as in the EU. But the mobile cable needs the 20 amp, $3

5 adapter to know it is in a 20 amp outlet.
--

  Rick C.

  -++-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Around ten years ago I thought, if this EV thing continues, then we'll have to go that way. Like a car wash where your car is pulled in and the battery pack swapped.

Since a lot of the enviro-left live in cities where they park on the street you'd think they would have thought about the impossibility of charging "at home." Imagine what would happen if there were charging stations all along the sidewalk, aside from being ugly. Pay with a credit card and plug in, then the next guy parks in between stations that are in use, so he unplugs you and connects himself. Extension cords would have become available by then.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Addiction to things like air?

Reply to
krw

Of course it'll never snow again.

Sandstone is porous. That's something new!

Reply to
krw

sure to kill you

Reply to