Re: Does not have any harmonics

> Hi,

> > Why does a sinusoidal waveform alone does not have any harmonics or > > distortion ? > > > > For example, (Reference ->
> > Sawtooth wave of constant period contains odd and even harmonics > > Square wave of constant period contains odd harmonics > > Triangle wave, (an integral of square wave) contains odd harmonics > > > > But, How is it possible that sinusoidal wave alone does not have any > > harmonics or distortion ? > > I searched the internet,but i did not find any link/pdf that talks in > > detail about these . > > Any ideas ? > > > > Thx in advans, > > Karthik Balaguru > > > simple answer.. saw and square waves are made up of hundreds of sine > waves.. sine > wave is made up of one.

Hundreds?

Reply to
Richard Henry

No, it's infinity, but above some number of them their amplitudes go below any measurable value.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

the more there are the more of an exact square wave it is.. if you take a signal generator and put on an ociliscope and zoom righ tin youll see little bumps all over it.

Reply to
the.ioniser

Yes, hundreds. The plural form of hundred, in other words AT LEAST 2 hundred. An infinite number is consistent with "at least 2 hundred".

:-)

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

--
Yes, but in the vernacular, \'hundreds\' is considered to be, in the
limit, less than a thousand.

An apt comparison, using your method, might be to say that placing
rovers on Mars took tens of hours.
Reply to
John Fields

You're absolutely correct. I was kidding around, sorry if that wasn't obvious.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly