Re: Does not have any harmonics

Hi,

>Why does a sinusoidal waveform alone does not have any harmonics or >distortion ? > >For example, (Reference ->
>Sawtooth wave of constant period contains odd and even harmonics >Square wave of constant period contains odd harmonics >Triangle wave, (an integral of square wave) contains odd harmonics > >But, How is it possible that sinusoidal wave alone does not have any >harmonics or distortion ? >I searched the internet,but i did not find any link/pdf that talks in >detail about these . >Any ideas ?

Odd and even harmonics are themselves pure sine waves that are frequency multiples of a fundamental sine wave. Distortion of a sine wave produces odd and/or even harmonics. So, sine waves are irreducible pure signals that other signals can be analyzed into.

--
John
Reply to

On Jan 1, 3:46 pm, John O'Flaherty wrote: [....]

Place "time independent" in front of "distortion" for a more accurate answer. An extreme example of the case is:

1N400X IN--->!----+------Scope ! ) ) 680uH ) ! GND

Tune the signal generator for resonance between the diode and the inductor and adjusts tha amplitude around 1V and observe.

So, sine waves are

Reply to
MooseFET