Re: calculating saturation current of transformer

> >I have designed a 1:1 transformer that will be used in a low voltage > > DC:DC converter. I have tested the current at which the transformer > > saturates by decreasing the frequency of the primary voltage while > > keeping the secondary open loop. > > ** How is that finding a "current" ?? > > What you have likely found is a combination of primary voltage and frequency > that (just) fully magnetises the core. > > I suppose you realise that the applied voltage and frequency that produce > any given level of core magnetisation are in inverse proportion ?? > > > I would like to calculate the theoretical value of the current at > > which the transformer will saturate. > > ** A verbal nonsense. > > Seems you have transformers all mixed up with inductors. > > What are you REALLY trying to find ?? > > ..... Phil

Well measuring the primary current while decreasing the frequency will clearly show a fixed value of current where the "saturation knee" starts forming. Is there a way of attaching pictures to these posts?

As for the transformer vs inductor: well a transformer is really two inductors coupled and for our purpose of DC to DC conversion the transformer will have to be analyzed as an inductor as well. Correct me if I am wrong but a transformer with an open loop secondary is nothing more than an inductor.

Reply to
johanwagener
** But it is of no value to know that current.

It is only useful to know the condions that give rise to it.

** That is a completely false analysis.
** You are 100% wrong.

An inductor is a different animal.

High time you learnt the difference.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Care to give some info then? Thats the main reason I post here, to learn...

Reply to
johanwagener

** Not until YOU describe what the heck you are designing.

The phrase " 1:1 transformer " tells us nothing.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison