Re: battery chargers, again

Last time a car went dead in the garage, my wife's Fit, I hacked up a

> charger from an old DSL wall-wart and a sabre saw as a series current > limiter. The garage geometry makes it essentially impossible for us to > push a car uphill to the street to jump it. Now The Brat left her Echo > in the garege for a month or so and it went dead, too. So I figure > it's time to buy a real charger. Went to Kragen Auto Parts and bought > two (one for here, one for Truckee) chargers. They are all "smart > chargers", namely switchers with electronics, these days. > > The battery is really dead, 1.8 volts. The first charger hums and > outputs nothing. Tried the next one: it hummed for maybe 3 seconds > then sparked and smoked inside.

One month? Dead battery (1.8V)? Forget it. Buy a new battery.

In the meantime, hook up a fresh battery through a test lamp and make sure there isn't a short somewhere in the car's electrical system. It may just be a dome light left on, but I've parked cars with clocks, radio memory and assorted microprocessors always on. They start just fine after a month.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.