Re: Annual PSA test

> >Had my annual PSA test yesterday. > > >Possible bad news, but funny at the same time... > > >PSA=3D2.8, OK, but a BIG jump from last year's 1.4 > > >So more tests : > > The fun just begins !!! > Its awfull, and not always conclusive.

It's worse than that. My oncologist mate in Australia claimed in public that he'd sue if anybody measured his PSA.

PSA doesn't distinguish between fast and slow-growing cancers. Since slow-growing cancers are very unlikely to kill you before something else does, they are effectively false positives, and they predominate to such an extent that the PSA test does more harm than good.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Besides that, I've been told that every man developes prostate cancer but it grows very very slow. In many cases its more convenient to let it be than to treat it.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Might be an off colour way to express it, but it helps to get laid regularly into old age, apparently :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I can't argue with that! I don't see evidence that it prevents prostate cancer though. Mike Maybe you can get a prescription from your doctor.

Reply to
amdx

Indeed ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Lol - the mind boggles, though it might wake up some of the prematurely dead from their slumber :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I had a rising PSA (6+) about 10 years ago when I was 45 years old. Went through all this. It was a slow growing, but really there. Had it pulled out. PSA < 0.08 now. I'm glad I did it.

boB

Reply to
boB