Re: AC/DC problem

I have to make a AC to DC circuit. I have 10 uV to 1 mV (+ or -) on

>the input. the output have to be 50mV to 5 V,(one polarity only) to >drive a VCO. >The idea is to measure a DC current to or from a battery over >time .The result will then be read out in Ah ,and the display count up >when charging, and down when using current.

That's not exactly AC/DC, it's more like an absolute value circuit... the semantic difference being that the polarity reversals are probably infrequent and not periodic.

You can make a very fairly simple circuit that multiplies a signal by

+1 or -1, and drive that from a comparator that detects the input polarity. But at 50 uV, all the parts - amp, polarity switch, comparator - have to be very good.

What does the final data - absolute value of battery charge/discharge

- actually mean?

John

If I'm reading it correctly it's more like an offset circuit. Zero current at mid range, full negative below that and full positive above. Otherwise he'll have to pass a separte sign signal to accumulate amps.

Looks like a capacity meter. Of course it leaves out little things like charge losses and self discharge.

Robert

Robert Adsett