Raspberry brings out 5 dollar computer

On a sunny day (Tue, 8 Dec 2015 22:12:09 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Well, they do. If you have no modern monitor, no USB keyboard, THEN ask yourself the question "Do I Have Diapers?"

This being an electronics design group, it is a nice cheap solution for some embedded applications, does not even need a programmer like a PIC does.

In electronics these days, without an ability to program, write code, you are nowhere, you cannot even test an i2c chip, SPI chip, any other protocol. You cannot hold on 555 timers forever. You may want to learn some HDL too so you can make your 555 timers and more complicated things in hardware in FPGA. BTW that 5$ raspi has an analog output (FBAS) too, so try reading up on it first before your fingers start bouncing of that USB keyboard you claim not to have.

In short: Complexity will always increase, you either spend your life studying and keeping up, or you are out of the (rat) race. Nothing wrong with the last I guess, if that is your thing. Have fun.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 22:12:09 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

An HDMI display is not more pricey that the DVI/VGA variety.

Finding CGA is getting rare these days too. You must have been living in your "everything costs too much" bubble for a while now.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

dosn't need a modern monitor, any TV made n the last 20 years will work. (composite video out). x

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

On 9 Dec 2015 11:00:12 GMT, Jasen Betts Gave us:

That is about the worst way going to pump a computer screen.

A computer display and "a TV" are not the same.

Not a very bright statement.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It was standard practice for many years. If you only need 40 lines of text or coarse graphics it's quite adequate.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I still don't get the meaning other than by context. What is a "shallow" bug?

--

Rick
Reply to

I made a simple mod to a TV to add an optical isolator for safety and connected a video output. It worked at fairly good resolutions and it wasn't tied to the NTSC scan rates anymore. I think I was able to get

640 horizontal resolution, don't recall the vertical.
--

Rick
Reply to

correction: 40 column

PAL TV does about 600x800, NTSC nearer 500x something. Real life tv video bandwidth is reduced to cut noise, but it does 40 column text ok

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm pretty sure I got a lot more than 40 chars. Adding the opto-isolator allowed me to bypass much of the circuitry, most likely the filters as well. I don't think I got a full 80 columns because the screen was just too small, I think it was an 11" inch TV. Back then I could actually see, much better than now when I need glasses for everything.

--

Rick
Reply to

I remember 80 column being an option sometimes used, but it was too blurry for use when not really needed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr