Raspberry brings out 5 dollar computer

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

When I was at IBM, I used to say that as soon as somebody found out how to parallellize database updates efficiently, we'd be toast. They're still selling Z-series. However, DBMS isn't the whole universe, by a lot.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Any problem is simple if you simply ignore it. Sorry, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me. These *are* the droids we're looking for.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

On a sunny day (Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:05:38 +1100) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

That is not a bug, that is a feature.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:26:46 +1100) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

Seems to happen sometimes here though... Vodafone? ;-)

It is hard to run 2 + 2 on 78 cores.

It is IMO a mistake to use that huge sort of 'solutions' (that is full of bugs (eee features) itself, to solve all problems.

You are just talking about your specific whatsitcalled mm thing will do.

There are close to infinite variants and applications, some big some small. And programmers do really well normally.

Apart from F35, of course. But for that POC not even a trillion cores can fix it.

But say aerospace, where things are a lot more critical than oma talking to the grandchildren, things go wrong too, I guess the larger the project mm take for example that health care system in the US, couple of students build the site in an evening, big company (usually out to charge as much possible in man hours and hardware) could not do it on time. Why did the mars rover crash? pounds metric units... Why did the Boeing Dream parts not fit together : units Software ... Some of the soft I have put in open source has been used by others and improved, changed, some have worked as seed for new projects, that is the power of GPL and open source. But I am unable to incorporate lots of patches without either losing overview or maybe too lazy to do all the testing. It is PRIMARY all a question of communication between the writes of the pieces of the software. That is also why that other mars thing crashed, just a micros witch that needed to be read, but it was activated early .. and the guys who did the embedded or whatever started the engine early, because they did not know that switch would be flipped at some early point too. THERE is where problems are. At least some examples.

But, if you are such a genius, why not write some software and put it online? You may get a lot of email if it does not work right, and it may turn out to me more than a full time job to just answer those.

Form the other pint (perspective) I have send bug reports .. and then get email back 'no it works OK' where it clearly shows the programmer had no clue or even tested it,,,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:12:06 +1100) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

There only exist 'simple things' If they do not seem simple to you, do not start coding, but think first.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 07:55:38 GMT, Jan Panteltje Gave us:

Give us a list of what is wrong with the JSF, idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That would be the contrapositive, not corollary, but it still made me smile :)

Clifford Heath (amateur logician)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Parallellizing database _updates_ efficiently would be an excellent contribution. Why not have a whack at it?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Exactly. The nutritionists tried the same thing, but the astrologers all love bacon. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hi,

On 30-11-15 21:43, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote: > On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 19:13:27 +0100, kristoff Gave > us: > >> However, it has become clear that things are note that simple. > > Ooops! > > Bwuahahahaha! BRL! > So much for the argument that linux is by definition more secure because it is open-source.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

Reply to
kristoff

You are wrong on every single point above. I have been contributing to open source for 35 years now, and almost every day for the last ten years. I have been a technical inspiration and leader to teams of engineers, and the inventor behind Australia's first ever Internet startup. I could go on, or you could use google and just stfu.

You claim that there aren't any "hard problems" - that's truly nonsense.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

On a sunny day (Tue, 1 Dec 2015 10:21:23 -0500) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

I once used whatsit ? that data beast? Something with 'pro' anyways My PC is my database, I use 'locate' and 'grep' and 'apropos'. Of course you need some 'updatedb' (called from a script here that mounts partitions) too. All the databeast I need. What is not on the PC is on google.

No idea how google does it, but my compliments to them.

If you want some real fun and maybe a bit of science, today I was reading this:

Presentation by the late Dr Bussard not on his drive, but on his fusion experiments:

and

see the video by Eric Lerner, not sure that will break even, but very informative.

Why? My recent experiments with ultrasonic luminicense and (yes the new transformer works), and what I remembered but never tried from the Farnsworth fusor:

just need to read up a little on that subject. Many guys have tried that tone, do not have enough lead and no vacuum pump atm, so ..

The world is my database. Programming I see as a tool for what I do, not as a purpose in itself. There is no such thing as 'a programmer', the beast has to know _at least_ about 2 subjects,

1) what he wants to use the program for, and 2) how to tell a computah what to do. And back to my initial statement about simple-city:

If you, in YOUR mind, can describe the steps that need to be taken to do what you want Computah to do, THEN you can write the code.

The step by step how to do it requires expertise in the field you are programming for, I have written programs for many very different fields, and each time I had to study those fields.

Maybe some people will never be programmers because they do not think in logical steps one at the time[1], those should not be writing manuals either Bomb disarming manual page one

1) Unscrew the big bolt at the left one turn. 2) Before you do that push the metal pin down sort of thing I have written technical documentation for a large military company, so you know. No let those who ONLY program and have no clue about anything else do that database.

I won't be using it, I do not need one. [1] and they top post and leave out what they replied to and and

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Overall it's about equally as secure as the closed-source stuff out there. The major difference with open source is that it can be readily inspected for intentional 'back doors.'

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's like whosiwhatzis corollary to Clarke's Law: "Any technology that is distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Maybe you're right, but in my view the contrapositive is not "trivially deducible", it's actually the same predicate expressed in a different form. A corollary still requires a deduction step, albeit a trivial one.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

On a sunny day (Tue, 1 Dec 2015 15:30:47 +1100) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

You a reply has zero content. That makes me think so does your knowledge. This also because you think 'most' (what was it 90 %?) 'of programmers do it wrong'. It means you live in your own sub world of limited experience and blame errors one everybody else. You silly statements testify to that. They help nobody, they cannot help anybody, And that is also why you will never release source, as it would show you are in that percentage you criticize.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In my lexicon, a corollary is any trivially deducible consequence of a proposition, i.e. one requiring no new demonstration. Seems as though a contrapositive qualifies. (If I were a politician, I'd be merrily affirming the consequent, and thereby proving to depressingly many people's satisfaction that any corollary is a contrapositive.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(amateur theologian)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

OK, my apologies. English is only my 3th language.

Anycase, the stress was the first part of the sentence. :-)

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

Reply to
kristoff

The Raspberry PI os a plain fraud. The user ends up spending a ton of bucks buying a HDMI monitor, USB keyboard/mouse/hub etc., etc., How can anyone sell a full-fledged computer on USD 5 ?

Reply to
dakupoto