Questions on op-amp based adjustable power supply

I was pointed to this link in from another post of mine regarding a high-current adjustable power supply:

I have all of the parts that I need and have started building a prototype. I have a few questions before I can finish.

1) I could not find a LM336Z-5.0, but I did get a LM336Z-2.5. In the page's notes, it says this is OK, but to change the values of R2 & R3. For my 2.5v version, what would these two values be?

2) I am hoping to get an adjustable voltage range from 11v to 20v or so. I would ideally like to use an 18 VAC transformer, but could not find one locally with a high enough current rating. I figured 18 VAC would translate into about 25 VDC after a full wave bridge and a large filter cap. The only one I could find with high enough current is one with a 26 VAC secondary. This makes about 40 VDC after the bridge & filter cap. I understand it will cause the transistors to dissipate more power, but I am mostly concerned about exceeding the operating voltage of the 741. Is there an easy way to make this transformer work? If I'm exceeding the supply voltage of the 741, would it work to use, say, a 12v regulator for the 741's supply voltage? I do not have any experience in working with op-amps.

I should expand on my application: I will be using this power supply to charge a bank of capacitors rated at 700,000uF. This will demand A LOT of current for a very short amount of time. I need them to charge within a second or two, so if I use a power resistor between the supply and the cap bank, it will have to be small. I have the transistors on some pretty beefy heat sinks.

Regards, Kevin Schneider

Reply to
keebler65

Increase r3 or reduce r2/P1 etc. the exact ratios depends on what range of output voltage you want, there will now only be 2.5v acros R2 and P1 and output voltage less 2.5v accross r3. the voltage is in proportion to the resistance.

I wouldnt recomend altering the supply of the 741, I would suggest a transformer of the right voltage, it would mean a smaller transformer and less heat/smoke !

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Unfortunately a lower-voltage power supply is not an option right now.

As far as over-powering the op-amp, I am somewhat confused on how they are rated. According to the spec sheet for the 741 that I have, the supply voltage is rated for "+/- 18v". Since I am using it with a single-voltage supply, would I double this rating to find out the effective supply voltage it is rated for? (i.e. if it normally operates from -18v to +18v, would the supply voltage on a single-voltage supply be 18*2 = 36v?)

Thanks Kevin

Reply to
keebler65

of

work?

supply

To answer your most recent question, a '741 can operate from a 0V/+36V supply, (absolute maximum).

Regarding the transformer, 18VAC will convert to about 24VDC after the bridge rectifier, if the transformer's load approximates it's current rating. e.g. A transformer rated at 12VAC, 5A will usually be within about

10% of 12V if a current of 5A is drawn. The voltage will increase as the load is decreased and vice versa. Using a 26VAC transformer will result in approx. 36VDC, ((26 x 1.414)-1.2), which may be higher if the typical load of that transformer is not met, exceeding the rating of the '741. It would not hurt to use a regulator, (at the minimum, a Zener diode), to keep the '741's supply voltage within specs. ... Donkey
Reply to
Donkey D...

Thanks for the reply. Come to think of it, 36V is even high for a standard voltage regulator. How would I use a zener diode, and what value would I choose? If I do lower the 741's supply voltage, do I need to connect any of the voltage reference components (U1, P1, R2, R3 in schematic) to the same lower supply voltage or would they remain on the

+36V rail as they are in the schematic?

Thanks again, Kevin

Reply to
keebler65

the

R3.

range

2.5v

or

not

VAC

large

one

&

dissipate

operating

use,

any

supply

LOT

on

operates

about

in

load

would

the

You'll need to apply the lower voltage to the op-amp, the LM336Z/R1 and the R2/P1/R3 voltage divider. You'd need a 1W Zener, something like 33V. Having chosen the Zener, you'd then need to recalculate the resistor values to suit.

... DD

Reply to
Donkey D...

regarding

&

less

20v

is

bridge

transformer

charge

transistors

now.

they

supply

the

result

the

Having

Correction: You don't need to apply the lower voltage to the R2/P1/R3 voltage divider, if you calculate the correct values for these. ...Donkey

Reply to
Donkey D...

R3.

range

2.5v

large

one

use,

LOT

on

unfortunatly you cant reduce the positive or negative supply to the op amp, if you reduce the negative supply, the output transistors will not be able to turn off, and the positive supply needs to be higher than the input to the op amp (obviously) however there are op amps with a higher voltage rating wich might be ok, the other alternative is to reduce the inputs to the op amp so that the positive supply can then be regulated, so that its used like a differential amplifier, or a string of big diodes folowing the rectifier ... you only need to lose 4 volts to keep the 741 happy :)

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

the

or

not

VAC

&

dissipate

operating

any

supply

operates

about

in

load

would

the

amp,

4

Actually there is another way, that is to simply put a zener in series with the negative supply of the 741 AND its output, you only need to lose 4 volts, I didnt notice r4/r5 forms a voltage divider before so you can almost get away with it just in the negative supply (maybe just reduce R5), adding a 100R resistor from the base of the output transistors down to the negative rail will ensure the output transistors are off with subsequent higher op amp op voltage.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

lose

Why can't a Zener be used to limit the (positive) supply to the op-amp, the reference AND the feedback voltage divider? (The R4/R5 divider would also need attention.)

... Donkey

with

divider

(maybe

Reply to
Donkey D...

amp

ok,

the

the

zeners on both the inputs would make the regulation very poor. resistor dividers making a diff amp would be more accurate. its simpler to put zeners on the neg rail and op amp output where their poor regulation doesnt affect the regulation.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

also

poor

Of course - I'm a bit slow sometimes - must be old age.

... Donkey

Reply to
Donkey D...

snipped-for-privacy@mn.rr.com wrote: ...

High-current voltage regulation probably is a dumb idea for your application. Here are two possibly-better approaches:

  1. Attach a full-wave-bridge to the secondary of your 26VAC 15A transformer, and a variac on the primary. Connect the bridge DC output to your capacitor bank through a sub-ohm resistor. Set variac to get proper output voltage.
  2. Wire one LM338 in constant-current mode* to deliver 5A to your capacitors until they get to target voltage, then open a relay or whatever. 1.4 seconds for 10V charge, 2.8 for 20V.
*See p. 12 of
which shows R1 = .24 ohm, 2W

-jiw

Reply to