Question regarding FET with low Drain to Source capacitance - FET_termination.jpg (0/1)

I am designing a switchable 75 ohm terminator circuit for a video application using a Enhance Mode N-Channel MOSFET, ZVN4106F (ZETEX) and a 75 ohm resistor. Please see the BMP attachment. The Source is connected to ground. The Drain is connected to a 75ohm resistor and the other side of the 75ohm resistor end to the video source-to-a video analyzer coax line. The gate of the FET is connect to a TTL source. The video source is sweeping video from 1 to 30 MHz. When the TTL is high, the FET turns on and the analyzer sees the termination. The frequency response is flat all the way to 30 MHz. When the TTL is low, the FET turns off and the analyzer sees the unterminated video,but the frequency response rolls down to 15.4MHz at -3dB. Doing my calculation using 15.4MHz, 75ohm load and fc=1/2pi*RC. The capacitance of the FET I am using when it is off is about 137pF. Too high for my application since I need to have a flat response within

3dB range all the way to 20MHz. I figure if I can get a low capacitance Drain-to-source Enhance Mode N-Channel MOSFET of about 15pF or below, I'll be OK. Any idea where I can find a FET like this? By the way. In the past, someone sent me a 4 Bipolar/2 diode approach to the switchable termination problem. This circuit worked great, but with a cost. I need to use a -5v source that is not part of the prototype design. The design will provide a +5v and a +12V voltage source. Also, if i did provide a -5v souce, this source will need to support 400mA load current since I would have to use 8 of these switchable circuit(50mA each). Too high. The MOSFET approach on the other hand draws very little current and can use an only +5v design scheme. So I have to make the MOSFET approach to work, 1 to 20MHz flatness. Any idea will be helpful.

Caesar

Reply to
LRCR

A 2N7000/7002 has about 2 ohms on resistance at +5 on the gate, and 11 pF typical drain capacitance. They cost a few cents each.

John

As an alternative, you could try using three diodes in series fed by a Rf choke and a 100 ohm resistor., that should let any legal video signal through, then when you apply 5 volts that should make for a pretty low value shunt to ground.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

What about one of these bus switch ICs which contain 4 MOSFETs. Other manufacturers make similar things too. FST3125M

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

What about the logic level FDV301N (6pF)

or perhaps just a plain BC847 instead of the FET (add base resistor)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I can't picture it in my mind. Can you sketch a schematic? I am very interested.

Reply to
LRCR

Thanks for the info

Caesar

Reply to
LRCR

Reply to
LRCR

Reply to
LRCR

FET off and the output capacitance value for the suggested Fets [Coss] will be at a maximum as there is no drain to source voltage. Best so far is the

2N7000 that could maybe run to the 20MHz mark. Also another problem in that the negative going sync tips will start clipping. If it could be arranged that when OFF the Fet sees a fixed bias voltage, the Coss values can be forced low enough to offer a respectable bandwidth. Looks like that original -5V rail had this use but 50ma is way excessive. Why not use the +5V rail in a similar manner.? john
Reply to
John Jardine.

So John, you're saying that if I can bais the FET' Drain to Source with the 5V while it is OFF, this will help to lower the Drain to Source Capacitance.

Caesar

Reply to
LRCR

[...]

Yes. (but ........ :) As arrangement seemed so intriguingly "simple", thought I'd run the spice and oh-so casually figure out a working arrangement. A whole 3 hours! later, figured the FET idea is a time waster. Now been driven home to me the significance of the Ciss,Coss,Crss value interactions under this linear-switching condition. Horrible little things are constantly on the move, resulting in significant DC shifts, signal loss variations and harmonic distortion. Tease apart one complicated interaction and another strolls in to fill it's place. Tried various bias arrangements but at 20MHz, the FET harmonic distortion (5% at best), the loss of output voltage (-10% at best) and variable DC offset shifting with signal level suggested I was on a loser.

Eventually just fitted a normal NPN small signal transistor like Kraus K suggested (I used a BC547 and 1k base R)). Magic ... . Distortion mostly 3rd at the 1% level. No mysterious DC shifts and NO signal loss. (confirmed on a spectrum analyser and tracking gen).

I enjoyed that, Ta!. john

Reply to
John Jardine.

Klaus suggested BC847. Is this the same as BC547?. Also, is there a negative bais voltage on the emitter of NPN or is the emitter connected to ground? So basically the circuit is

COAX 75ohm Line video source------------------------------+---->video receiver | | | R=75 | | C TTL-------R=1k---B BC547 E | | -V=????

By the way, I notice that when I connected a -5v to the source of the MOSFET, I did see a DC variation. I had to connect the source of the FET to GND in order to stop the variation. It is interest that in your analysis that you commented that the MOSFET arrangement will have "...significant DC shifts". Maybe the DC shifts are still in the MOSFET arrangement with the source connected to GND, but I don't see the shift under the GND connection condition.

Caesar

Reply to
LRCR

BC847 is just the SMD version of the leaded BC547 (only major difference is the thermal resistance of the junction-case)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

(As Klaus' reply)

The DC shifts were occuring due to the FET generating even harmonic distortions due to assymetrical shifts in it's operating point at the rate of the incoming frequency. This distortion in turn was created via the leakage paths through the FET internals. Which in turn also depended on series impedance in the gate driver circuit (drop the gate impedance and then lose out on drain signal level). But, it gets messier, as the FET starts to 'float' on it's self created DC levels which in turn alters the operating point again. This now shifts the internal cap values and a new cycle of leakage-distortion-operating-level change ensues. Static level shift also happened every time the video inputs level changed. DC shift may be only a 100mV or so but this is noticable on a video screen before the monitor AGC has time to kick in At 20MHz a -lot- of precious signal current is running through the FET parasitics to ground. Not a good situation. john

Reply to
John Jardine.

[snip]

Have you got room for a SIL reed relay?

eg, The Meder Electronic Micro SIL relay has a footprint of about 15.2x3.9mm, about 2pF, coil to contact, and takes less than 20mA from a 5v supply. Switching speed is about 0.5mS. Their SIL05-xxx is slightly larger, but takes only 10mA at 5V.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

-3dB down from what? Are you making an amplitude or impedance measurement?

That's not right- the ZVN4106F should be something like 20pF.

The ZVN4106F is one of the lowest available.

The problem is most likely that the video is causing some amount of conduction through the FET body diode on the negative excursions.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That's not right, unless you bias the FET to Vds = 25V. Like all MOSFETs, the capacitance increases severely below about 10V. The datasheet curves show Coss climbing rapidly, nearing 100pF at 0V.

It's in the same territory as the 2n7000 and 2n7002.

LRCR can do much better with MOSFET switches contained in cmos ICs, or with some bipolar photoMOS optocoupler relay switches, such as Aromat's AQY221, with 1pF of capacitance at 0 volts. LRCR can use a T configuration for optimal off attenuation.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Tony,

Thanks for your response. Using a reed relay is not a bad idea. I have not consider this as an option. I will have to see if I have room on the PCB I am working on.

Thanks Caesar

Reply to
LRCR

The blasted thing...