Question regarding design

Hello,

I wanted to do a protocol check before posting to make sure I am in the correct forum. To summarize, I have a schematic with no component values that I am trying to reverse engineer. I would like to work out the values on my own, but I have questions. Is it appropriate to post a schematic (and if so what format is preferred) and ask questions or should I create a web page and point to it?

Also, my questions will probably seem elementary to most. I haven't dealt with analog circuits in a long time, but am reviewing my old textbooks.

Thank you!

LM

Reply to
LM

Post a reference URL to the schematic or post the schematic itself to...

alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

(s.e.d is NOT binary)

...Jim Thompson

Thank you, Jim. I have posted the schematic and details here:

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Reply to
LM

Looks to be just your ordinary everyday alternator regulator.

_Perhaps_ reading my patents (on my website) would give you some insight into alternator regulators.

...Jim Thompson

This is a voltage and current regulator. The TR3/4 Darlington controls the regulation by adjusting current through the field coil. R5 drives the Darlington base circuit and TR1/2 in parallel shunt more or less R5 current around the Darlington to maintain regulation. TR1 senses battery voltage and TR2 senses alternator coil voltage magnitude thus controlling charge current. The R4/C2 and R6/C3 are negative feedback compensators for TR1/TR2 operating in their linear regions that roll-off the high frequency gain resulting from the field coil inductance. Both control loops are averaged: the battery averages TR1 input, and the field coil averages the current control of alternator magnitude through TR2. DZ1 determines the setpoint for battery voltage regulation and similarly DZ2 controls the alternator coil magnitude setpoint. You will have to know the alternator characteristics for specific component values.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Fred, you ARE the man. Thank you. That's everything I was looking for in a nutshell. The alternator characteristics are, for general interests:

Output: 200W, 20A, 3-Phase Rotor: Measures 5 Ohms resistance

That's what the documentation states. I'm not working with an actual alternator here, just a schematic and the above test information. It states that there would be three wires coming off the stator and that between them you should measure 50Vac. It also states that the rotor should ohm out to ~ 5 Ohms. Playing around in Tina Pro, I substituted an inductor with a resistance of 5 Ohms and an inductance of 50 Henries (figuring average turns around a two inch "spool", 18 ga wire, etc.). It isn't exact, but simulation rarely is.

Again, I am just trying to refresh and relearn old information. I have worked so long with digital circuitry, I have forgotten pretty much everything I learned about analog circuits. I graduated over 16 years ago, so it's been a while. I can't stand to think I have failed to retain something I happened to work my tail off learning!

LM

Reply to
LM

LM wrote: (snip)

Not to worry. Before long you'll forget to think about what you learned and forgot.

--
Michael (who graduated ........ well, more than 30 years ago)
Reply to