PVC as radome

,

P)

=A0Are

ule

A 0.5dB loss at the transmitter is not the same thing as a 0.5dB fade margin.

Reply to
mpm

And the ink comes off quite easily with lacquer thinner or acetone.

Exactly what "uhf" frequencie(s) are you using?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

)

=A0Are

le

401MHz. Are you a fed?

This topic has been covered often on the group. You can put the PVC in a microwave oven, but you need to put some water in the oven as well. I don't recall the details, but the topic can been covered before.

PVC detunes antennas, at least in wifi land. You can roll your own fiberglass radome material. Not cheap. Tap Plastics has all the materials. Since you used a funny list (Electronics-Related.com), I think I'll save myself the hassle of explaining how to make composites in your garage since I suspect you are not going to get my reply.

Reply to
miso

A microwave oven at 2.4 GHz. will tell you little, if anything about something at 400 MHz. I'd probably experiment with lots of different off the shelf plastics. TAP, as you noted, has a pretty good selection of plastic tubing to experiment with.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

If the material has some kind of resonance around 400 or 2400 MHz, the microwave oven test does not tell much.

However, most materials are either lossy on both 400 and 2400 MHz or have a very low loss at those two frequencies, so the microwave oven test will give some useful information.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

e,

6

CP)

=A0Are

dule

You may be right, there is zero reply from Blanker...

Wim

Reply to
Wimpie

:

ome,

(46

ed

RHCP)

. =A0Are

hedule

Yeah, I keep forgetting not to answer posts from those spambots. However, radome design sure is an interesting area of interest. These UAVs have huge radomes as part of the airframe itself to support the satellite links. The same for links to troops on the ground. I suspect radome design is a good guru discipline. The market probably doesn't support many with such knowledge, but those that know the biz probably do alright. Note these UAV radomes have structural problems as well as RF properties.

Reply to
miso